When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just picked up another schwinn world with locking fork. Not sure if this qualifies for this thread but figured I would share

20230207_160308.jpg

20230207_160312.jpg

20230207_160314.jpg

20230207_160343.jpg

20230207_160332.jpg

20230207_160321.jpg

20230207_160317.jpg

Last edited:
That is a later model than a "New World" but it is an interesting bike to me because it looks like it has "Schwinn Built" calipers and Schwinn levers on a somewhat later bike. What year is the rear hub marked? I had always thought the "Schwinn Built" calipers ended around 1952 and were replaced briefly by the English-made calipers before the Weinmanns came into use.

That is a later model than a "New World" but it is an interesting bike to me because it looks like it has "Schwinn Built" calipers and Schwinn levers on a somewhat later bike. What year is the rear hub marked? I had always thought the "Schwinn Built" calipers ended around 1952 and were replaced briefly by the English-made calipers before the Weinmanns came into use.
Correct. It does have schwinn built levers and caliphers. Hub stamp is a 55 which is odd. Previous owner being the original owner stated that they never changed any parts with exception of grips. Serial leads me to think its a 52 frame

rear brake cables should be on the down tube, clip in the chain guard and go up like a girls bike.

much later fenders, look at the reflector. E 4 should be a 52,

A 1952 would indeed make sense with that brake set. The fenders, grips, and shifter are add-ons from a later time. 1955 would be the latest bike I've seen with the Schwinn-built brake set, but I think you're onto something using the 52 serial number.

I've always been somewhat interested in the weird period of 1953-54 when you see oddball parts on some of the bikes - Brampton shifters and hubs, and the short-lived Birmingham style English brake sets.

A 1952 would indeed make sense with that brake set. The fenders, grips, and shifter are add-ons from a later time. 1955 would be the latest bike I've seen with the Schwinn-built brake set, but I think you're onto something using the 52 serial number.

I've always been somewhat interested in the weird period of 1953-54 when you see oddball parts on some of the bikes - Brampton shifters and hubs, and the short-lived Birmingham style English brake sets.
This is the second bike that I’ve seen with a later dated 1955 Sturmey hub. The other one was an early 50s clubman continental equipped with a 1955 hub. That model was discontinued years prior to 55. Is there a possibility that those hubs are miss stamped when somebody put a 5 stamping die in place of a 2 stamping die?

Last edited:
Back