When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tandem Devoted Thread! Original Photos, your bikes, literature, anything!

-
4298C51D-5C65-4389-B42F-A168649C8167.jpeg

-----

08_124419_cd3ba48d5e06f2c7e0a4db016fa56ca41d006b82.jpg

one can only wonder what ride was like for the rumble seat stoker...

image from the Coventry Transport Museum, England

-----

Last edited:
I enjoy tandems. I have owned a 1940's Schwinn Town and Country, purchased a New 1971 double men's Paramount tandem, and have a mint condition Schwinn Mini Twin.

Only a single hand full of all the tandems pictured in this 12-page topic, have crank arms that are NOT in sync. I'm wondering if any of you guys that are tandem fans have any experience riding tandems with the cranks both "in sync" and "out of sync". You can ride a tandem with NO HANDS if the cranks are adjusted so the power stroke comes staggered every 90 degrees. This observation was brought back to my memory from reading the Bill McCready (Mr. Santana Tandem) Bicycling Tandem article in this post. Several of the five tandems they road tested had the cranks adjusted "out of sync". There's a lot of good stuff in this article.

John

I forgot if I posted this one but here it is,Rear steer,House paint and all...has a Schwinn front brake......

colson.jpg

I enjoy tandems. I have owned a 1940's Schwinn Town and Country, purchased a New 1971 double men's Paramount tandem, and have a mint condition Schwinn Mini Twin.

Only a single hand full of all the tandems pictured in this 12-page topic, have crank arms that are NOT in sync. I'm wondering if any of you guys that are tandem fans have any experience riding tandems with the cranks both "in sync" and "out of sync". You can ride a tandem with NO HANDS if the cranks are adjusted so the power stroke comes staggered every 90 degrees. This observation was brought back to my memory from reading the Bill McCready (Mr. Santana Tandem) Bicycling Tandem article in this post. Several of the five tandems they road tested had the cranks adjusted "out of sync". There's a lot of good stuff in this article.

John

-----

wrt to chainset registration -

homebuilts constructed by joining two singles typically exhibit a measure of mis-registration due to the lack of an eccentric bottom bracket

-----

-----

wrt to chainset registration -

homebuilts constructed by joining two singles typically exhibit a measure of mis-registration due to the lack of an eccentric bottom bracket

-----
Sorry.........Not what I'm talking about.

See on (page 9) Post #86 of this thread, the second (86b), and third (86c) photos show tandems with the primary chain purposely installed 90 degrees "out of sync". There's a reason this is done. Has anyone here experimented with different (non-traditional) primary timing on a tandem?

It's like the difference of a flat plane crank in a high performance engine compared to a V8 crank with the crank throughs 90 degrees off for a smoother vibration free engine. The only down side I have experienced is that it makes it more difficult to mount the tandem. But it's much smoother to ride "literally no hands, for the captain". Especially, when breaking in a new stoker until they get confortable.

John

Last edited:
Back