When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Vs OG Resto's look better

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
train-of-thought-train-wreck.gif

Here is one that was a resto-custom type thing that came out beautifully. I owned this beautiful 1951 Raleigh Clubman, which I eventually sold to another collector. It was kind of a resto-custom done by a collector in Massachusetts. It was re-painted a beautiful grey/graphite color. The paint job was of professional quality, and the color was a custom color. That said, the thing was tastefully done, being the grey sibling of the original shiny blues, greens, and reds. The bike was almost fully done when I got it.

I sourced Raleigh Lenton/Clubman parts (many of which were unusual and had to be shipped from England) to finish the bike, and got some high-quality period Raleigh and Reynolds graphics from H.Lloyd's in England. The aluminum Bluemels fenders went wonderfully with the color. The black Brooks saddle was also a nice addition, matching the grips and adding some comfort with its springs. The MKS rat trap touring pedals were also more comfortable than the smaller quill type racing pedals.

So while a resto-custom, this was one of the nicest bikes in my collection. I sold it because I prefer the more mundane, upright bar Sports/Superbe type models. I don't ride drop bars a whole lot.

On some bikes where the condition dictates, if you do a tasteful resto-custom type job, the results can be excellent. I always marveled at how light this bike was (for 1951 at least) when I'd lift it up.

20211016_130425-jpg.jpg

20211016_130430-jpg.jpg

20211016_130434-jpg.jpg

20211016_130543-jpg.jpg

Love the pictures, stories, and opinions on this subject. I'm actually glad there's a discussion on this, as I've been thinking on it for some time.

I don't want to judge any of the personal sentiments about their own treatment of vintage bikes, as long as whatever they are doing they are happy pursuing it; they get joy from their collection or projects or practice as it is, which is what I think matters most. A lot of people here seem to agree on that, but I know there are some that take issue to others' approach to the hobby, for reasons they've given.
One thing I wanted to comment on is, in the process of collecting, the reasoning of 'preserving a bicycle's history' comes up quite frequently. Now, if there is an intimate personal connection to its history, something of true, sentimental value to you in it - whether it was owned by a friend, family, or your self in the past - I can understand the idea of wanting to preserve it in the condition as it is. The issue I do have is when the reasoning extends to a history that you have no personal connection to, with some leeway towards historic areas or periods that you have interest in; when a bike just has some history.
I don't think there's anything wrong finding value in preserving a piece of history, but I do have issue in thinking that everyone else should treat those objects the same way; every buyer of an antique bicycle, car, radio, any item with some vintage. In every case, every previously-owned object has a history.
An early comment on the thread commented on how, if a bike were provided new parts and a paint job, they would consider it 'boring,' but one that had visual age on it would be judged as having more value; several comments throughout have echoed the idea. This assumes outward value, however, whereas I think for many people who do enjoy working on bikes the value is in the process of bringing it to a new, better-functioning state than how it began. This idea negates the current owner as capable of positively contributing to an item's history; this idea reduces the current possessor not as an owner of their bike, but as a caretaker of someone else's. An owner's use of an item defines their ownership of it, as does that value which they add to it; if one does not exhibit ownership, continually trying to preserve and maintain that which was, can they claim to own it? Can it really be theirs? Were this habit to be extended towards previous owners, would the bicycle ever develop a history itself, each owner trying to maintain the state 'as-is' to preserve that which has already been done? Previous owner's attempts to change a bike - or any historical item - to a state of their preference, by their own means - which you have referred to as amateurish and detrimental to the value of the bicycle - are, in fact, part of a bicycle's history, is it not? If a bike's current state is not up to your own standard, I find it entirely reasonable to revise it to a state which you prefer, but this requires that one's own personal preference dominates. There is no problem with appreciating a bicycle regardless of appearance, whether patinaed or rusted or repainted or original; but to scoff at individual's efforts, putting in work and energy to bring the bicycle to a state of their liking into a state objectively more polished or finished, for the sake that they 'erased some history' that belonged to it by doing so, is irrational.

To summarize. There is no issue in appreciating a bike for its visible age, and wanting to preserve that. There is no issue in preferring to bring a bike to its original state through restoration. There is no issue in, instead, bringing a bike to a custom state, an improvement to its original condition, through your own or other's efforts. There is no issue in having a bike the way in which you want it to be. The only issue is attempting to remove yourself, and any influence besides preservation, from the bike. The issue is when you reach a state where you have a bike, yet won't claim to own it.

Every vintage bike does have a history, but don't be afraid to be part of it.

Back