When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Hearty Welcome to John - Schwinn Sales West

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

onecatahula

Living the Dream
Welcome John,
Just want to reach out on behalf of the Cabe community, and mention what a pleasure it is to have you onboard !
I always find myself taking the time to read your commentary, as you are: a) a perfect gentleman, never speaking down to your audience and often encouraging; b) erudite in the subject matter, freely sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience which is derived not from hearsay and cobbled-together information (often erroneous), rather, from having been there, in the trenches; c) generous with your time, going well beyond an original topic, often to granular detail; d) well-spoken, even writing in complete sentence structure - which has practically become a lost art; e) full of juicy historical tidbits (loved reading about Frank Brillando, Keith Kingbay, the Paramount Cage, and the like. Tasty morsels from back in the day).
You are a true asset to the community, Sir.
A hearty “Welcome Aboard,”
Pete
@Schwinn Sales West

Last edited:
Welcome and enjoy the ride!

11162015 002.JPG

John has a massive history dating way back in the collector realm here in So Cal as well and one of the 1st
serious restorers doing top shelf work from Aerocycle and beyond, a true crafstman and
sound and solid knowledge base especially in the Schwinn realm! Major asset to this forum for sure!
Welcome John!

Wow Guys! I don't know what to say but Thank You. Yes, I feel very welcome here at the CABE.

I'm just another old "Baby Boomer" guy that grew up during a cool time. I enjoyed assembling bicycles, toy wagons, tricycles, and pedal cars as a kid growing up in a family owned Hobby Shop, Toy Store, and finally in 1958 we started selling Schwinn Bicycles, when I was 11 years old. It was a great time in the bicycle industry. We did it all as a small business trying to pay the bills. We rode every kids' fad as far as possible. Hula Hoops, Whamo Frisby's, Skateboards from the beginning with clay wheels, Sting Rays, 10 speeds, BMX from the start, etc. In the late 1960's into the 1970's we were the local pro shop for the lightweight bikes. Stocking Paramount's, Mondia's, Gitane, Motobecane, and Peugeot bikes. My brother even dabbled in some custom frame building, and frame repairs. We had the only Campy full frame building tool kit in the state and did custom wheel building. No other shops stocked clothing and Campy parts at the time. We stocked sew-ups. In general, it was a great education. I spent a few years going to college, and working for a local Ford Dealership as an auto technician doing electrical and tune up work. The early 70's Bike Boom hit, and I went back to work for the family business and we expanded into two Schwinn Cycleries.

In the late 1970's I had the itch to enter the wholesale side of the bicycle business. I went to work for Cycles Peugeot USA and covered the Los Angeles market selling to dealers. I was recruited by Schwinn and moved to the Sacramento area and called on Schwinn dealers in the central valley. I was transferred by Schwinn to the Arizona market and called on Arizona and Southern Nevada Schwinn dealers from 1982 to 1986. In 1986 I moved back to Southern California and worked as the Western Regional Sales Manager out of the Schwinn regional distribution center in Rancho Cucamonga. Working for Schwinn was a dream job. They always did everything first cabin. Never took short cuts. It was great to work for a company that always had your back and supported their employees. Much different than today's work place environment.

After the Schwinn 1992 bankruptcy, I continued to work for Schwinn Boulder under the new Scott Sports Group ownership. I helped re-open their west coast distribution center, and re-establish the Schwinn brand. As you already know it was a bumpy ride during the last few years in Chicago. It was difficult not being able to just turn the ship around. There was a lot of moving parts. But looking back, I'd do it all again. There were some really great times and good people I met along the way.

I have lots of old Schwinn memorabilia that I would like to share with the CABE. It's not revolutionary, just cool old interesting stuff. How about the original blueprints for the Schwinn Sales West distribution center in the City of Industry. Or maybe a wall picture sized blueprint copy of the Schwinn Paramount name plate, signed by Frank Brillando. I have a 1988 fifty-year anniversary Paramount frame set with the gold-plated fork. No big deal, they likely sold a couple of hundred gold plated fork fifty-year frame sets. But this one is a "Funny Bike" pursuit track frame that was built when they built the Wheaties Team Schwinn bikes. How about the plastic lug models they used when investment casting steel lugs. Just lots of old weird stuff that only true bike junkies could appreciate.

I'm an old "analog guy" and the new digital world is a challenge for me. I will work hard on getting up to speed and posting photos, so I can share more information here. I know the rules, Photos, or it did not happen!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

John Palmer

Back