When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sealing Gas Tanks

-

RM Special

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello CABERS,

While I know this might not classify as a vintage motorcycle in comparison to what others post on this site. I think others might have some insight on some questions about sealing gas tanks. I have a motorcycle gas tank that needs to be sealed as it is weeping along the bottom. Someone has tried to repair it from the outside with some sort of clear sealant. The tank is very clean inside except for the very bottom edges where the leaks are coming from. Upon doing some internet research I am thinking that Caswell and Redkote seem to be good products however the 2 part epoxy Caswell product seems to be better? According to their website it is currently out of stock....

Does anyone have experience with either of these products or have a suggestion on another alternative? I have watched numerous videos but if anyone has any tips on the process I would appreciate the advice.

It is for this bike, 1974 Yamaha DT 125 Enduro with electric start. This is a pic on the day I bought it and now have it torn down for a quick cosmetic and mechanical resto. My father turns 80 years old soon and I want to give it to him for his birthday as I think he will really enjoy the electric start button.

Yamaha 125.png

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Finding another tank is probably the best option as others have mentioned. However, I will probably just coat it for now due to time constraints. I will post an update once it is sealed to share the results.

Back