When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold WESTERN FLYER X-53 ORIGINAL PAINT

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
DODN BUYER PAYS SHIPPING COSTS
Zipcode
X53 WESTERN FLYER FOR SALE. I PURCHASED THIS ALMOST TOTAL ORIGINAL ( FENDER LIGHT TOP) FROM THE BICYCLE BARN IN GEORGIA SEVERAL YEARS AGO. THIS IS A NICE UNMOLESTED VERY CLOSE TO ORIGINAL X-53. I DID HAVE A BUYER HERE ON THE CABE BUT I MISUNDERTOOD HIS SHIPPING REQUEST AND HE BACKED OUT. I WILL HELP ANY BUYER TO ASSURE THIS BIKE IS PACKED PROFESSIONALLY AND SHIPPED WITH A QUALIFIED SHIPPER. SHIPPING WILL NOT EXCEDE TO $195.00 TO BUYER. I WILL COVER ANY OTHER SHIPPING COSTS ABOVE THIS AMOUNT TO ASSURE PROPER SHIPPING. ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK. POSTED MORE PICTURES OF THE BIKE 1/13/23

View attachment 1755487

View attachment 1755488

View attachment 1756028

View attachment 1767860

View attachment 1767861

View attachment 1767865

View attachment 1767866

View attachment 1767867

View attachment 1767868

View attachment 1767869

View attachment 1767870

View attachment 1767871

View attachment 1767872

View attachment 1767873

View attachment 1767874

View attachment 1767875

View attachment 1767876

View attachment 1767877

View attachment 1767878

View attachment 1767879

View attachment 1767880

View attachment 1767881

View attachment 1767882

View attachment 1767883

View attachment 1767884
I've been collecting X-53 Western Flyers and everything about them since the 1960s. I even have the original dealerbooks from Western Auto. And I knew the guy who designed them. Perhaps you may have seen my original in Cyclist magazine back in the 1980s.

One thing always mistaken by collectors today is about the grips. Several Black/Gold edition X-53s have appeared on CABE and are often claimed to be "completely original." This one shows red Flex-Grip grips. Another recently posted shows gold W-F arrow-dart grips. But the factory never installed these.

I am attaching a photo of the proper grips– the only ones used by the factory on the Western Flyer Black/Gold edition X-53. Tough to find, but the only ones correct original for the Black/Gold edition X-53. Important to remember: different years and editions of X-53 had different grips (and colors).

Also these models originally came equipped with bowed pedals. See the Cyclist magazine article in the "Historical Articles" section of NBHAA.com.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America (NBHAA.com)

X-53Gold:BLackGripsLeonDixon:NBHAAWM.jpeg

I've been collecting X-53 Western Flyers and everything about them since the 1960s. I even have the original dealerbooks from Western Auto. And I knew the guy who designed them. Perhaps you may have seen my original in Cyclist magazine back in the 1980s.

One thing always mistaken by collectors today is about the grips. Several Black/Gold edition X-53s have appeared on CABE and are often claimed to be "completely original." This one shows red Flex-Grip grips. Another recently posted shows gold W-F arrow-dart grips. But the factory never installed these.

I am attaching a photo of the proper grips– the only ones used by the factory on the Western Flyer Black/Gold edition X-53. Tough to find, but the only ones correct original for the Black/Gold edition X-53. Important to remember: different years and editions of X-53 had different grips (and colors).

Also these models originally came equipped with bowed pedals. See the Cyclist magazine article in the "Historical Articles" section of NBHAA.com.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America (NBHAA.com)

View attachment 1799300
Hi. I have a black and gold X-53 but has a different pair of grips. I don’t know the year of my bike. It has bow pedals. What about these grips?

6F5E48EF-98A7-4019-B0AF-FD550F46261F.jpeg

C69C5199-6A3B-4CBB-9F08-C998DFAF727C.jpeg

Western Auto sold the arrowhead dart grips like these by the tens of thousands aftermarket in their stores off the shelf. Tons of them still around today. They also installed them and on other newer bicycles. But they just did not install these grips new on the Black/Gold edition X-53 Wester Flyers... no matter how many folks out there today are claiming so. They look cute and certainly held up better than the original grips on the Black/Gold edition. But these are not original. Only the ones I showed in this thread were on these Black/Gold edition X-53 bicycles when new.

It’s good to know. Thank you for the information. 😊
Western Auto sold the arrowhead dart grips like these by the tens of thousands aftermarket in their stores off the shelf. Tons of them still around today. They also installed them and on other newer bicycles. But they just did not install these grips new on the Black/Gold edition X-53 Wester Flyers... no matter how many folks out there today are claiming so. They look cute and certainly held up better than the original grips on the Black/Gold edition. But these are not original. Only the ones I showed in this thread were on these Black/Gold edition X-53 bicycles wh

Last edited:
Back