When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Klunker V huh??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Other registrations. Trek bicycles, electric utility company, xray company, All registrations dead except Crested Butte Klunkers still live.

Charlie Harper of Harper's Cyclery in Iowa was an active member on the Schwinnbikeforum and he stated that Schwinn notified all the dealers to immediately take inventory of all their California Cruisers and remove the guards and they will promptly send out new replacement chain guards. He knew nothing about any of the fairy tales on the Klunker.

Sorry, screenshots got funky. Here they are again:
KlunkerSearchUSPTO.jpg

Klunker5 Schwinn USPTO.jpg

Klunker Trek USPTO.jpg

Klunker electric USPTO.jpg

Klunker Xray USPTO.jpg

Klunkers CrestedButte.jpg

Ok, more of the story I've heard was the og trademark was "Clunker" and judge or whoever thought that was too close ( maybe you can ck that one @J-wagon ) and kinda strange Schwinn filed Oct. 23 1978, a few months after they introduced the bike in the July/Aug reporter!, Still like to know how long the run was, the 5 that I've had were last week of Sept- mid Oct. and a friend has 2 in the same time frame and another guy has 4 2918-3138, here on the cabe there was a blue one 3128 and @Xlobsterman is Nov. 8, frame, #'s kinda jump around which we already know as Schwinn just grabbed frames out of the warehouse in no order. so of the quick check of 13 Klunkers they were made between Sept 20-Nov 8 1978 all H-JP frames, let see what is the earliest and latest build dates and what is the earliest Spitfire 5? and if they did sent out replacement guards to exchange that really mix up the #'s.

Last edited:
Ok, more of the story I've heard was the og trademark was "Clunker" ( maybe you can ck that one @J-wagon ) and kinda strange Schwinn filed Oct. 23 1978, a few months after they introduced the bike in the July/Aug reporter!, Still like to know how long the run was, 4 of the 5 that I've had were last week of Sept-2nd week of Oct. and a friend has 2 in the same time frame, @Xlobsterman is Nov. 8, frame, #'s kinda jump around which we already know as Schwinn just grabbed frames out of the warehouse in no order.

Actually it's they just grabbed a serial stamped head tube out of the barrel and then built the frame with it. Then it's a free-for-all when that frame was prepped and painted and then when it was finally built up. I would just use the head badge dates only since the serial dates don't mean Jack. From what I've seen over the years the average between the serial date and build date is around 45 to 60 days.

That why I'm basically going by the build/badge date and even tho all the frames so far have been HP & JP ( Aug & Sept 78 ) the funny thing is the earliest (Sept) & latest (Nov) were H with J's & H's in between, My oldest one, Sept 20th came with a twin also black purchased together a friend has so waiting to get those #'s.

Back