When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘48 Schwinn: mechanically refurbishing a crusty D37XE Ladies…

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Amazing the hub guts and races were minty
probably being a girls bike
@Che, I foresee this old girl will ride super nice when I'm done. Mi Amor will be surprised.
Nice rescue Eddie! These are smooth riders. Here's the thread I posted for the one I rescued some years back at work, can't remember if you saw it when you were here. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ladies-46-or-47-schwinn-back-on-the-road.161341/
Thanks Gary @gkeep. I agree, in all indications, she will be a smooth rider for sure. I don't recall seeing this one particular bike when I was there, but then again, I did see a few. Nice job on her btw getting her back to her original color. Dig that Schwinn blue color.

After spending some time in Santa Cruz with Gary and Rick while picking up the wheels and having a couple more trued, my wife and I headed down to Pacific Grove for a couple of days. We hiked early the next morning at Point Lobos SNR in Carmel. After hiking, we had a simple breakfast picnic tailgate. Why not…so we can enjoy the incredible scenery. Had to make room in the back of the SUW to prepare breakfast, so removed a few wheels and laid them against the split rail fence just behind the car. That looks pretty good I thought with the big blue ocean in the background. So, then I took the rest of the wheels and did the same thing just for fun.

05i wheels @ Pt Lobos.jpg

These are the wheels for this project, recently trued just the day before.

05j wheels @ Pt Lobos.jpg

This chrome hoop belongs to @Che. I gave him the matching hoop on a trade a couple of weeks prior.

05k wheels @ Pt Lobos.jpg

I love this picture

Last edited:
While removing the crank and front sprocket, I noticed the condition of the crank nut, no different than the hardware for the stem and fork, axel nuts and so forth like they were never touched. Once this bike was put together, that was it. Nobody put a wrench on this bike. The condition of the hardware is still very crisp and sharp. The teeth on the front sprocket and rear cog are in great shape like new without the surface rust. Amazed.

07 crisp teeth.jpg

07a rear cog.jpg

Maybe a new chain will be in order after seeing the excellent condition on both front sprocket and rear cog

07b bolt and nuts crisp.jpg

When I inverted the bike on the table, whatever lose rust was inside the frame, all came down to the bottom bracket. I can see that this bike was originally maroon, just by the color inside the BB. No surprise here, BB cones were in great shape just like the rest of the bike, and the one of two BB cups had discoloration in one spot. No pitting though, so definitely usable. I’ll replace both bearing cases though since I have nicer ones available. Another plus on this old Schwinn.

08 lose rust from inside the frame.jpg

Surprised to see this

08a original color.jpg

Original Maroon color

08b crank and sprocket removed.jpg

08c BB cones cleaned.jpg

BB cones...very nice condition

Last edited:
When I got started with this project, I kicked one of the pedals to see if it turned. Nada. Tried by hand, and with a little force, the pedal barely turned and probably just a quarter turn at best. They felt very dry. I will need to replace them I thought. I see that @Hastings was selling a pair, an almost matching condition too with the description that they spin, and they are straight. Cool. Contacted Ken and told him that I would take them.

So, after a day of soaking the nuts with penetrating oil, it was time to work on the pedals. Happy that these are serviceable Torrington pedals, which I was able to free up and break down. After initial cleaning of the races and cones, I found that the original spindles are in great shape and straight. That was key. So, the cups on the original pedals were shot as are the bearing cases; everything else was in nice condition, no pitting, just smooth. I keep extra Torrington pedal parts just for this reason. I got four bearing cases and gave them a good cleaning. I thought why not use the original spindle housing and just replace the cups. But my stash of extra cups did not fit for some reason even the cups from Hasting's pedals. The original spindle housing diameter was a tad larger where the cup connects. Strange I thought, since all my spare parts are Torrington. Bummer. But that’s why I bought the pedals from Ken; just in case I needed to replace altogether or use as parts. So, the plan was to take the spindle housing and cups from the pedals I got from Hastings and use with the rest of the original parts. All internals cleaned, lubed, and put together.

09 Original pedals.jpg

Original pedals before break down

09a breaking down.jpg

09b breaking down.jpg

09c pedals from Hastings.jpg

These pedals are from Hastings purchased just in case for replacing altogether or for parts

09d replacing original bearings and cups.jpg

Throw away crusty bearing cases and cups. Original spindle races are in good condition.

09e bearings and cubs cleaned.jpg

Bearings and inside of the bearing cups are cleaned. Spindle housing and cups are taken from Hasting's pedals.

09f ready for assembly.jpg

Ready to assemble

09g before.jpg

Before...

09h after.jpg

...and After. You're probably wondering why I didn't just use the pedals I got from Hastings altogether. Would have been the simpler option since the condition would have worked as well. But again my goal, just as with this entire project, is to use as much of the original parts as I can and only replacing what is needed. In this case, these pedals may not look awesome, pretty bad actually, but they turn like they are and more importantly original to this '48 Schwinn.

Last edited:
We've had some nice weather the last two days, sunshine finally. Continuing on this very rusty lady.

11 rear rack.jpg

Before: Rear rack needs a little work. Not too bad though other than the two tears at the brace common on these racks.

11 straightening of the fenders and rack.jpg

Rack was laying directly on and flattening the top of the fender.

11a straightening of the fenders and rack.jpg

Fender straightened after a little tweaking and straightening of the rack

11b straightening of the fenders and rack.jpg

Rear rack repositioned higher and now clears the fender. "Mo bettah"

12 putting the wheels together.jpg

Time to grease the hubs

12a wheels done.jpg

Decided on new rubber for this project. She came with black walls so we'll see how she looks all put together.

12b setting up mechanicals.jpg

Crankset installed. Also I decided on a new chain due to the crisp condition of the front and rear sprockets.

Last edited:
Back