When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you work on today?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The harley got the rear g&j rim fixed, and the correct stand......it's back to rideable... poor thing took a beating last year.

20230227_203100.jpg

20230227_203022.jpg

20230227_203008.jpg

20230227_202953.jpg

Well, this is the last picture of this bike together.
About a quarter mile up the road from this spot I got hit by a car that was pulling out from a side street. Guy obviously wasn't looking both ways before he pulled out. Luckily he saw me and stopped before dragging me out into the street. We were in a gravel drive and the bike slid more than anything. I wasn't hurt, but my fork and handlebars didn't fair so well. He was more concerned about his car "that was brand new" after finding out I was ok. Things were not civil when he tried to tell me nothing was wrong with the bike. Said "I ride bikes too man, there's nothing wrong with that." Tire was rubbing and we had to go to the shop where he works to get a wrench to move the axle back up. The axle on the left looked bent, worried it was cracked. At first he hands me a pair of vice grips....I look back over at the size of the double-decker snap on box and I'm like, dude, you're telling me there's not an actual wrench in that thing? Loosened the nut and the axle went straight, but it had bent the truss rod over the end of the fork, so when I tightened it, it still has that bent look. Laid the bike on the ground, stood on the fork and tweaked it and the bars back to as close to straight as I could by hand. It still tracked way off and was pulling hard to the left. It was enough to trek the 12mi back home.
PXL_20230228_212013972.jpg

Got it up on the stand and it looks like the bar end and axle took the brunt of the force.
PXL_20230301_152408701.jpg

The cable got squished against the grill and took paint off the fork, but surprisingly works just fine.
PXL_20230301_152442730.jpg

Got the fork out and laid flat on the bench. It's deviated 1/2" to one side, bent at the steerer and legs. The right side has a bow in the leg as you can see the gap with it laid against the table. It's probably twisted too.
PXL_20230301_154722604.jpg

PXL_20230301_154647166.jpg

PXL_20230301_154810133.jpg

PXL_20230301_154739638.jpg

I think it's time to retire this frame fork and bar set. Haven't taken the grips off yet to see which part looks more bent on the bars. I could tell it was tweaked on the ride home though, enough to make my wrist sore after 12mi.

One heck of a testament to how strong the wheels are! I thought for sure the rim would wobble, it's all good and the axle may only have a hair of runout to it.

I'm glad you're OK @WillWork4Parts ! 😵😯😲

Car vs bike incidents are typically much worse. At least the one's I've been involved with.....
Definitely lucky in this case! First collision in my 30 something years of being on two wheels. I will be reverting back to my old habits of not trusting drivers, even when I look them in the eye, and riding around behind the car ready to pull out. I've had a false sense of security lately with people waving me on....and people backing their front end out of the sidewalks. It was nice while it lasted.

Back