When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

35/36 double diamond Mead Ranger

-
1937?
That would explain the forged stem, the fender braces &..
I don't think those are Schwinn handlebars you
might want to confirm with one of the experts.
The handlebars definitely seem to be women’s half moon style seen on elgins…

Here’s the serial number, I was expecting a hand stamp?

View attachment 1796389
Hmmm might be 1937/39 serial. Crazy stuff..lol

Screenshot_20230301-110133.png

I've read various on line information here and elsewhere about Mead stockpiling over produced and leftover parts from Schwinn and various other manufactures. Case in point the rear rack. They then assembled the bikes and marketed direct to consumers through magazine ads etc. That was their thing. Makes sense to me there are going to be differences in those bikes even if same year and model. Don't think that serial number will tell you when bike was built, just approximate year frame was made. To me all this is what makes Mead bicycles so cool.

I have both a 1920’s and 1930’s mead chainrings, when did they stop using them?

3BF7A652-6F66-4AB3-995B-FE8CBABEEC8E.jpeg

EF22B61B-B361-4B35-8BEA-3276F40BFF6B.jpeg

Last edited:
I have both a 1920’s and 1930’s mead chainrings, when did they stop using them?
I believe that they stopped using 1920’s chain rings, in the 1930’s…,

Seriously, the skip tooth sprocket looks like it is prior to the 1918 patent and one used on a more economical model, (did not have to import English 1/2” chain).

The 1/2-pitch sprocket looks like post 1918, with the new patent, for simpler manufacture.

Congratulations, GREAT looking bicycle, the rack is awesome as are the seat and those seat tube decals, WOW!!!

Totally new and ignorant here on what the MEAD RANGER represents?

It appears like most Schwinn built 2 x diamond frames with a Hockey Stick guard yet many different parts like the forks, seat, chaindrive, rack etc...

Back