When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When you know you've got it bad.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

appears steerer & shell may be twenty-four rather than twenty-six; is that correct?

looks like it would have taken a pretty good wallop to get the lamp bracket twisted 'round like that

any marking to be seen on brake calipers?

be propstand a Shuresta?

wilst this beastie now be ahead of the Dunelt in ye olde queue?

thanks for the very fine trip report 😃

-----

-----

checked with me Brampton catalogue

appears frame bits and some fittings from that producer

crown looks to be cast item Nr. 810000 with cap Nr. 805000

lugs appear they may be something from the 830 serie

bottom bracket shell from the 830 serie (dizzying array depending on angles/dimensions)

headset locknut appears Brampton Nr. 915 242

-----

I drove from Austin, Tx. to the western side of Phoenix, Az. to pick up my 1960 Raleigh Sports. I met a friend and previous owner of the bike, who drove from San Jose, Ca. On another occasion, I flew to Chicago and picked up a 1977 Schwinn Suburban in Flamingo Pink, and drove home with the bike!

View attachment 1795935

View attachment 1795936
That Raleigh traveled over the ocean and changed languages to meet good-time yanks.

What didja have to pay for the bike's passage?

-----

this query remindeth me o' one wished to ask...

what was the procedure for taking the wheel on the ferrous horse?

did it go into a baggage car and you were given a chit to claim it at your destination? something else?

-----

-----

this query remindeth me o' one wished to ask...

what was the procedure for taking the wheel on the ferrous horse?

did it go into a baggage car and you were given a chit to claim it at your destination? something else?

-----
My thoughts exactly. Might be a good way to pick up a new ride in unknown territory 😀

And here's some of the seller's pictures of the bike. This is the only cantilever framed Norman I've seen, the rear hub (Sturmey-Archer SW) dates to 1959. Missing the seat, but otherwise in pretty good shape, although it does need some work.
If it had a seat, you could'a rode it home!

A vintage bike, $???. A multi-state railroad adventure, priceless. There are somethings money can't buy.

What didja have to pay for the bike's passage?
I reserved the tickets a couple of weeks in advance, so the price was $30.00 (each way) + $20.00 for the bike (one way). Some trains offer carry-on service but on the Cardinal they put the bike in the baggage car. You're supposed to get a baggage ticket, but the Indianapolis station was short-staffed and I never got a ticket. But the baggage handler just asked me which station I got on at and that was good enough. They usually only handle bikes at manned stations, but Prince is one of a limited number of unmanned stations where you can check your bike on or off (as long as you have an advance reservation).

Last edited:
I reserved the tickets a couple of weeks in advance, so the price was $30.00 (each way) + $20.00 for the bike (one way). Some trains offer carry-on service but on the Cardinal they put the bike in the baggage car. You're supposed to get a baggage ticket, but the Indianapolis station was short-staffed and I never got a ticket. But the baggage handler just asked me which station I got on at and that was good enough. They usually only handle bikes at manned stations, but Prince is one of a limited number of unmanned stations where you can check your bike on or off (as long as you have an advance reservation).
Cool. Good info to have.

-----

appears steerer & shell may be twenty-four rather than twenty-six; is that correct?

looks like it would have taken a pretty good wallop to get the lamp bracket twisted 'round like that

any marking to be seen on brake calipers?

be propstand a Shuresta?

wilst this beastie now be ahead of the Dunelt in ye olde queue?

thanks for the very fine trip report 😃

-----
The kick stand is indeed a Shuresta. I started a new thread with detail pictures here (International Bicycles Forum).

Last edited:
Back