When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear drum brake.

-

HEMI426

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
My question is did a Schwinn Twinn de -lux 5 speed ever have a rear drum brake? Thanks if you can help.

Well I'll answer my own question, I went to the auction and seen it did have a rear drum brake. I thought I could get it for $20 or $30. Apparently 2 people thought it was (quote unquote RARE) because it went for $380. I actually laughed out loud. I did get a cool fender zeppelin (mix drink shaker).

What year was the tandem? Schwinns first tandem post war was equipped with drum brakes on both wheels. The later twins that were five speeds had the atom drum brake.

I don't know the year but the shift lever was on the downtube, it had black 3 or 4 rivet seats, the rear bars bolted to the front seat post. My guess would be late 60s early 70s. I was shocked at the high bid. Oh yeah it also had a rear rack.

Last edited:
The earlier 60's Deluxe with the Atom had S-7 rims and 105 spokes so just those wheel sets are worth a good chunk of change. So are the bow pedals and the deluxe mesinger seats.

If that was the whole bike it was a good price.
I have seen the rear drums at $250 and selling fairly quickly on eBay.
I hate the price of some of these things as well, but that's what the collectinvestors do to everything they touch man.

Don't forget, atom wasn't the only rear drum hub offered on Deluxe Twins. The 67s I've had came with the Union drum.
vintage-union-drum-brake-hub-schwinn_1_fdd33c03146c812fe030485be0d5821c.jpg

I wouldn't say worth more, but I'd rather have the chrome hub if I ran up on one for parts. Aluminum ones are probably easier to sell since that's what everyone wants.

My 1969 deluxe twin had the atom. From what I’ve seen, when Schwinn changed over to a lightweight rim is when they started using the other hubs. But I haven’t seen them all.

Back