When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Superbe...Just Got It...

-
WD-40 with a brass brush and 0000 steel wool for the crank. Hasn't even been polished yet...and I see a few small spots I missed, lol!

IMG_3126.jpeg

Brillo, Scotchbrite, etc will remove rust but leave telltale fine scratches all over. Bronze wool, copper wool, 0000 steel wool, bronze brush, copper brush will remove rust without the fine scratch mess on chrome. WD40 works well with them.

Removing brillo or Scotchbrite fine scratches can be done with Simichrome polish, but is a lot of work.

OK according to Brillo the Steel wool they use range from 00 to 1. They claim the cross section of their steel wool is round and that regular steel wool is not. That said Chrome is a lot harder than steel wool so why the scratches from Brillo pad (If there are any indeed) It might be that their chemicals are better at dislodging deep down cruft and it is those particles that are creating the scratch. Using WD-40 probably gives a little lubrication that prevents those dislodged particles from scratching the chrome surface.

The experts in this thread, and every other thread dealing with cleaning with steel wool, advise 0000 grade. Brillo, being 00 to 1, is much more coarse and so will cause damage. Brillo is going to say what Brillo is going to say in order to sell their product. I DEFER TO THE EXPERTS IN THIS CABE COMMUNITY!

Replate one of your chain guards and then do a test with all the Brillo pads and steel wool and see what the hell happens to the chrome. I never use the stuff.

Work continues. And I decided that I'm not changing out a thing on the bike. All components will remain (including a tube needed for the rear) but came out better than hoped for. This will be a purely cosmetic job. Remove most of the rust and doing a lot of polishing. BTW, more pieces are in the "Evap-Rust Soup".

Next owner will need to grease all bearings. And I'm doubtful that the Dynohub will work, but it's all there.

IMG_3136.jpeg

Almost done with what I want to do it. Mechanical issues will be for the new owner to iron out. I'll see maybe later taking it outside for some detailed photos to show just how far its come since I purchased it.

IMG_3145.jpeg

IMG_3146.jpeg

Back