When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Great save. Give the paint a gentle once over with some Maguires or Morthers Cleaning wax, any good car cleaner/detailing wax and then a good carnuba car wax. The color will come to life and shine.

This is one I rescued from becoming scrap metal a few years ago.
Schwinn Frame.jpg

Here's where you'll probably find the serial number.
Schwinn Serial BB.jpg

What was under 3 layers of paint.
OG Paint.jpg

1947 Schwinn.jpg

Wow! Great job on both of the bikes getting back down to original paint. I recently bought a cycle truck (I will post pics in the project rides shortly) that has been brush painted at least once but the pin stripping and decals are clearly visible under the paint. I see the recommended use of a cleaning wax but were there other products used to rid the layers of pint to get to the original finish? I have heard of oven cleaner, various citrus based strippers, etc. and understand that it would really depend on what type of paint you are trying to remove.

Not trying to hijack this thread but thought my questions went along with the other posts. Please delete this if not allowed. Thanks.

Still looking for the serial number. I read on article that said some fro. the early 50's didnt have one.

Still looking for the serial number. I read on article that said some fro. the early 50's didnt have one.
Until 1952 the serial number was on the bottom bracket, after that it was on the rear left drop out until 1970.
Post 1952 Serial number.
thumbnail_20200815_172544_resized.jpg

The serial number was stamped in 52 but the bike was built in 1953.

12/02 to 12/03/1952 - F90941 ------------------ F96775
12/04 to 12/05 ------- F96776 ------------------ F99999
12/05 ------------------ G00001 ----------------- G03823
12/06 to 12/10 ------- G03824 ----------------- G29147 <---------------
12/11 to 12/13 ------- G29148 ----------------- G38234
12/14 to 12/15 ------- G38235 ----------------- G44000

The Serial number list is posted in the Schwinn section in a sticky at the top of the page.

Back