When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Toy Trucks

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have actually thought about getting some similar graphics done for my white Chevy 1500 WT

View attachment 1779291
Initially, when BMX first started to become popular Schwinn's top management fought it. They were concerned about bicycle rider safety and the abuse the bikes would take. Lots of broken J-38 frames were replaced under the terms of Schwinn's lifetime warranty. In time, it became obvious that BMX was here to stay, and the younger Schwinn management made the point that Schwinn Bicycle Company needed to change its views and build a competitive BMX line.

One of the young management guys at that time was Brad Hughes. Brad worked in the Parts department with Jay Townley. Brad was given the responsibility to put together a Factory Schwinn BMX Team. He hired the rider's, and supplied them with STING race bikes. They were originally very thin wall chromoly tubing with brass fillet brazing and built in the Paramount factory.

The Team Schwinn Factory BMX race van was just like the toy version in your photo. So at least on this one toy, it is representing a likeness of some real Schwinn history.

After Brad's long Schwinn history, he ran product development for Raliegh America.

John

John

I just picked up 1ea of the Lemon Peeler, Apple Krate, and Orange Krate M2 Schwinn Sting-Rays

lemon peeler.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread, but the photo of that box truck toy reminded me of the trucks that were used at the Chicago factory. They had a two Storey building and the completed frames were done on the second floor and needed to be transferred to the other building to complete the assembly and shipping stage. One building was on Kostner Ave, and the other was on Kildare Ave as my old mind remembers. They had a box truck (maybe two?) that had a scissors lift under the box that lifted the box up to the second floor, then they loaded the frames into the truck out of a "second floor" door and lowered them with the truck. This box truck was like they use at the airport to service airplanes.

I wonder how many of the Schwinn's we consider collectable today traveled in the real version of your toy truck?

John
2B4783CC-E70E-4388-85BD-4DBB61D05EC3.jpeg

Back