When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you tell me the year of this Hiawatha/Gambles?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
As indicated earlier, one has the three bar cantilever frame; and the other a double twin tube frame.

I’ve never tried to interchange tanks.

Some of the earlier models had chrome tanks with so-called ‘bug-eye’ lights.
"bug-eye"??? You mean like these... from Murray and Western Flyer Golden Flyer????? Not what you want here for the Hiawatha in question...

BugeyeTanksLightsWM.jpeg

Last edited:
Two things you'll want to do:
1.) Yank that non-M-O seatpost stem out of the seatpost tube
2.) Take clear photos of the stampings on the axle slot ears.
Already yanked the seat post... so that's why it came out so hard. Serial numbers on the way.

Already yanked the seat post... so that's why it came out so hard. Serial numbers on the way.
Yes... that seatpost stem was strangling your frame. Never put a non-Murray-Ohio seatpost stem into a Murray-built frame. Most are too fat!

Now be sure to also look under the crank housing on the frame with split top tubes for any stampings that might be there too...

Serial number on the single tube bike is WG 3. 808A 877366. And for the split tube is WG 3. 807C 407805, also no other stampings found on this one. Here is a picture of the split tube bike before disassembly. Thanks.

100_2747.JPG

Serial number on the single tube bike is WG 3. 808A 877366. And for the split tube is WG 3. 807C 407805, also no other stampings found on this one. Here is a picture of the split tube bike before disassembly. Thanks.

View attachment 1805344
Yes, but need to see actual photos of these stampings, not descriptions. There are reasons.

Here you are, pictures of the serial numbers. The twin top tube bike is the second one and the single is the first. There are also slight differences in the frames along with another hole in the twin tube bike.

100_3855.JPG

100_3857.JPG

You are most welcome.

Since I have not seen photos of the other Hiawatha you describe, I can't comment. I also can't go to links. You would need to either post here or send direct to me, then I can see whatever it is you are describing. Show me... then I can tell you more. But gotta see it.

And remember there were numerous models of Hiawatha each year, not just one. So just because frames differ does not mean this jumps the year. Also remember that there were numerous retailers that sold Hiawatha, not just one as some believe. And there were also promotional sale models of Hiawatha. So, unlike hobby DIY experts will tell you today... a Murray-made Hiawatha is not merely a translated Murray brand bicycle in different graphics. Lots of differences big and small. And then, lots of years on top of that.

RE: Hiawatha middleweight graphics... Don't be too fast on trying to replicate on your own. Some of these new-age graphics guys have gone bonkers making stencils, decals and appliques– even when they don't know what they go to. Or only think they do. So what you need may already exist. Check around... and don't expect the sellers to know model names and years. They usually don't.

RE: Corvairs and Harleys... Had both but sold them decades and decades ago. Had a girlfriend once who had a Corvair convertible and then I bought myself a Corvair Corsa convertible. Had lots of very rare stuff on it, including very rare real Dayton wire wheels (even experts don't seem to know this was a factory option once). I saved some of my brochures and factory 8 x 10 glossy photos. Presently working on a big history of Corvair-based concept cars. So I know a bit. But thanks.
Due to the complexity and cost of reproduction decals I am going to paint the graphics on this bike. As of this writing, no stencils, decals or appliques have been found of what I need. If I wanted to have them reproduced I believe that the set up and individual decals would cost well over $300. For that kind of money a little frustration doing it myself would be worth it. Besides, if it is done not to my liking, I have only my self to blame. Here are some pics of the larger graphics.

100_3860.JPG

100_3861.JPG

Okay... what you have with the "split tube" is a model number series that debuted in 1965. It would have originally been painted Murray Flamboyant Red (girl's models were Murray Flamboyant Blue)... which appears to be one of the carriers you have in the pics. Both werer trimmed in white and gold. It was referred to in dealer books and catalogues simply as "Hiawatha tank model." No special fancy name.

Along the way, someone obviously has attempted to run fat balloon tires on this bicycle that would not clear the rear fender without horrible rubbing. So? Whoever did this imagined themself a capable modifier and detached the horizontal rear brace for Murray's mounting bolts. Then this person drilled extra holes in the frame ears (one right through the serial number). Then they re-attached the fender brace to the new holes, thus pushing the fender farther rearward. You can see the very unattractive air gap behind the rear wheel in one photo. Ta-dahhhh! This is the cascading kind of thing that happens when modifications are done– especially to poor middleweights. It just keeps going and going and going.

Again, regarding graphics, I have indeed already seen some of these in the real world in recent years. As I said, some graphics guys have gone bonkers churning out graphics for stuff that they don't even know what it is. They make them on spec. Someone once sent me a sample set perhaps 10 years ago. Carrier, guard and tank. No idea where that is, but it would be far, far, far easier to simply get hold of one of these sets roaming around the hobby and if need be, modify/hybridize it to fit your needs.

Also remember... there were various suppliers of Hiawatha bicycles even in the same year... so one size definitely does not fit all when it comes to serial numbers. Don't believe what you read online or in DIY communal guessing lists.

Normally I would not go into this much detail, but hopefully this helps.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America
NBHAA.com

Back