When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 40 year tale of the Pea

-

schwinnbikebobb

I live for the CABE
In the early 80’s a coworker and I used to talk on our 10 minute break and somehow it came up I still had my childhood Schwinn Rams Horn (birthday 68) bike and he said he still had his also, a 70 Pea Picker. Both bought new. As happens sometimes we drifted apart as he went to driving semi's and me delivery. I’d see him every 7 or 8 years or so and I’d sometimes ask about the Pea. Last month we had a retiree luncheon and the first person I see when I walk in is him. We retiree chit chat for a bit and he says I’m ready to sell the bike. I say I’m ready to buy. A big thanks to Stikshifter who was a huge help with this.

Back in 70 him and his dad went and bought a Sears 26” bike but it was put together so crappy that they took it back. Went to the Schwinn dealer and saw this one and a Lemon. He did not have enough money saved from grass cutting and odd jobs so he had to wait a couple months and it was still there and he bought it. Said he used to ride it up and down the hills across from his house in the construction sites. (PMX????) Only thing he replaced was the front tire. (never seen one of these tires) But rest all original. It’s in great shape. Glad to be the care taker of his bike.

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

018.JPG

007.JPG

178.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice ‘70 Pea Picker Survivor.

Can you take a couple photos of the sticker on the seat post tube.

Plus what month is this Pea?

thanks for sharing this story, gotta love it

beautiful pea you just picked up and your ram is an amazing original machine as well - congrats!

Back