When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help sorting out this Monark.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
According to this resource I have here for Monark serial #’s your # is lower than 1947 so the assumption is that it is Older than that. I’m no expert, I still wish I had a better more exhaustive resource for Dating Monak Silver King built bikes.

image.jpg

Ahhhhhh. I'm going to give up trying to explain this because I have repeatedly, repeatedly stated that serial numbers for private-label retailers are not necessarily the same as for Monark-Silver King, Inc. in-house brands. Ditto for other manufacturers.

Also, anyone using this list as a "resource" obviously would not have all of the in-store dealer books that a Western Auto dealer (which is who this was designed for, not people DIY-ing on the internet in 2023) books that provide key information to complete what is here. When the list here says something... they are not talking to the internet in 2023. They were addressing Western Auto dealers. Sometimes this conclusion method works. Sometimes it doesn't. A Western Auto list for Western Auto dealers is not universally translatable to apply to anything made by the bicycle manufacturers under any brand.

The DIY method is to look on the internet... find something that looks similar ... and then make the jump to concluding it is one and the same. Which is what I call "same thing–only different" syndrome. I have had jillions of folks over the years that say... "See? Mine is just like this photo on the internet... except..." Ahhh. Go for the slam dunk.

When this posted list says "ceased productions" THAT means ceased productions for Western Auto. Not just "ceased productions." And for the folks who post things like the blurb from 1957-58 that talks about Monark-Silver King shutting down operations... they somehow conveniently can't seem to see the headline said "IN THE EAST." Why? Because they don't know any better, but when told otherwise, things then default to the good 'ol debate mode.

The internet is debate central. But history is history and debates are debates.

Ahhhhhh. I'm going to give up trying to explain this because I have repeatedly, repeatedly stated that serial numbers for private-label retailers are not necessarily the same as for Monark-Silver King, Inc. in-house brands. Ditto for other manufacturers.

Also, anyone using this list as a "resource" obviously would not have all of the in-store dealer books that a Western Auto dealer (which is who this was designed for, not people DIY-ing on the internet in 2023) books that provide key information to complete what is here. When the list here says something... they are not talking to the internet in 2023. They were addressing Western Auto dealers. Sometimes this conclusion method works. Sometimes it doesn't. A Western Auto list for Western Auto dealers is not universally translatable to apply to anything made by the bicycle manufacturers under any brand.

The DIY method is to look on the internet... find something that looks similar ... and then make the jump to concluding it is one and the same. Which is what I call "same thing–only different" syndrome. I have had jillions of folks over the years that say... "See? Mine is just like this photo on the internet... except..." Ahhh. Go for the slam dunk.

When this posted list says "ceased productions" THAT means ceased productions for Western Auto. Not just "ceased productions." And for the folks who post things like the blurb from 1957-58 that talks about Monark-Silver King shutting down operations... they somehow conveniently can't seem to see the headline said "IN THE EAST." Why? Because they don't know any better, but when told otherwise, things then default to the good 'ol debate mode.

The internet is debate central. But history is history and debates are debates.
Thanks for the correction bossman…. I’ll be more hesitant in the future to try to help people out with inaccurate “resources”

Back