When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Change from a single speed hub to 2 speed kickback

-
Yup phil wood and Co still going strong.had my first gen hubs fully rebuilt by them.made in the USA high quality stuff.

Phil Wood passed away in 2010. But the company he founded is still going.

Have you counted the spoke holes on your yellow band 2 speed hub? 36 or 28? Many of the yellow band hubs came on on Sting Ray 20" bikes with 28 hole hubs and rims.

And check the spoke hole size. Some of the 2 speed hubs came on Schwinn Twinn tandems with .105 spokes. Standard size are .080.

Last edited:
Phil Wood passed away in 2010. But the company he founded is still going.

Have you counted the spoke holes on your yellow band 2 speed hub? 36 or 28? Many of the yellow band hubs came on on Sting Ray 20" bikes with 28 hole hubs and rims.

And check the spoke hole size. Some of the 2 speed hubs came on Schwinn Twinn tandems with .105 spokes. Standard size are .080.
Yellow band two speed hubs were not used on the 20" wheel sized models. The Yellow band (with brake shoes) and the red band (with brake disks) were both under drive hubs. High gear was direct drive, and low gear was under driven.

The Blue band hub was used on the 20" wheel models because it was a "over driven" hub. Low gear was direct drive, and high gear was over driven making it much nicer geared on a small 20" wheel. The blue band hub received the brake show upgrade like the yellow band hub.

Very few parts interchange between the three hubs. The Indexing spring (the most common part to fail) works in all three hubs.

Almost all 20" wheels (a few exceptions on BMX) were only 28 hole wheel. I do not believe I have ever seen a 36 hole Blue Band hub.

John

Yellow band two speed hubs were not used on the 20" wheel sized models. The Yellow band (with brake shoes) and the red band (with brake disks) were both under drive hubs. High gear was direct drive, and low gear was under driven.

The Blue band hub was used on the 20" wheel models because it was a "over driven" hub. Low gear was direct drive, and high gear was over driven making it much nicer geared on a small 20" wheel. The blue band hub received the brake show upgrade like the yellow band hub.

Very few parts interchange between the three hubs. The Indexing spring (the most common part to fail) works in all three hubs.

Almost all 20" wheels (a few exceptions on BMX) were only 28 hole wheel. I do not believe I have ever seen a 36 hole Blue Band hub.

John

Always great posts John, I think I can add a little to it.

I thought the reason for the OD hub was not only for the smaller wheel but the smaller lucky 7 chainring gearing. Funny thing about the blue band OD. The gearing isn't that much different then the yellow or red because it has a 20 tooth sprocket. If they could have fitted a 17 tooth sprocket (18 standard, 19 optional) on the yellow ratios would be about the same. But it is an overdrive.

A few parts interchange between all three hubs. There are 4 parts that are different, but every part interchanges the blue and yellow.

1) paint, hubs are the same just different paint.
2) Brake arm script, one says Overdrive the other mdl2
3) Sprocket, AB-402 20t for the blue band. AB-318 18t for the yellow.
4) Driving screw, AB-418 for the blue. AB-302 for the yellow.
If you swap numbers 3 and 4 you can make a blue a yellow or a yellow a blue. But you have to swap both.

I think the OD offered on the mini twin was a 36 hole and there was a 26 inch lightweight bike offered with a blue band, also 36 hole.

PN AB-401, 36 hole hub shell .080 gauge.
PN 480840, complete hub 36 hole .080 gauge.

The 1968 Original Mini Twinn hanging in my office has a 28 hole Blue Band hub.

When you start talking about different chain ring and drive sprocket sizes, you're mixing up the discussion of transmission gear ratios. For example, you can run a close ratio, or a wide ratio four speed in your Muscle Car, but after you get into high gear, the 4.86 ring and pinion is still going to be a very low gear for street driving. On a bicycle, you have the options of under drive, and over drive two speeds, AND you can further tune your custom gearing by changing the front sprocket size or even the wheel diameter.

First the difference between the Red and the Yellow bands is not gearing ratio, it's the "brake shoes" that they added. The Yellow is just a newer version of the Red Band.

I think the reason you do not see the smaller drive sprocket sizes on any New Departure, or Bendix two speeds is because they would not fit around the large planetary gear on the driver. The Automatic hubs were very similar to the original Multi Speed cable operated hub in basic operation.

If you're trying to flip flop parts around, make sure that you use an actual Bendix Automatic axle, NOT a Bendix coaster brake axle which will fit. The automatic axle is a hardened axle and much stronger for the torque of the gears. Bendix would not have spent the extra cost of hardening the axle if they did not find it necessary.

The planetary gear system is one of the greatest inventions of the twenty century. It has not changed in over a hundred years. The only difference between a Model T Ford transmission, a Sturmey Archer, a Bendix or New Departure, or the ten-speed automatic transmission in your new pick up is how they shift and control the gears. They all work on the same planetary system.

John

28 hole blue band overdrive on a 28 hole Araya 7b aluminum rim BMX Forever!!!

IMG_20200520_182408788_HDR.jpg

The 1968 Original Mini Twinn hanging in my office has a 28 hole Blue Band hub.

When you start talking about different chain ring and drive sprocket sizes, you're mixing up the discussion of transmission gear ratios. For example, you can run a close ratio, or a wide ratio four speed in your Muscle Car, but after you get into high gear, the 4.86 ring and pinion is still going to be a very low gear for street driving. On a bicycle, you have the options of under drive, and over drive two speeds, AND you can further tune your custom gearing by changing the front sprocket size or even the wheel diameter.

First the difference between the Red and the Yellow bands is not gearing ratio, it's the "brake shoes" that they added. The Yellow is just a newer version of the Red Band.

John

I get what you are saying but its not like a close to wide ratio. I believe they are both 3 to 1 or the inverse.
If you have ever put a yellow band on a sting ray with a lucky 7 chainring, first gear is very low.
I know the differences between the 3 hubs, I've had hundreds through my hands and can rattle you off the part numbers.
Axles, in the rare occasion I need one I order CR-MO threaded rod from mcmaster. Its a heck of a lot cheaper then a used one on ebay.

Part numbers, heres one for you. With the exception of bearings all the parts have three part numbers.
AB number is a bendix
37- is Schwinn
48xxxx, do you know what this number is?

Back