When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure model D help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ChesterCopperpot

On Training Wheels
My New departure model d started slipping for lack of a better term. I would be pedaling forward and then I would feel the hub "let go" for like a quarter turn.

I figured i should open it up, clean it and grease it.

I followed this guys video instructions

Pretty straight forward.

So now I got it back on the bike and its acting weird.

First while still on the bench and turning the crank by hand I noticed the hub was noisy. Like a slight grind or click kind of sound. I loosed up the wheel bearing, but had to make it uncomfortably loose to stop the noise.

I took it for a ride and noticed right away that after coasting, when I would go to start pedaling again there is no resistance for maybe 1/2 turn of the crank.

Braking is good.

What did I do wrong?

It all looked good when I had it apart for cleaning. Pretty sure I put it back together right.

I may not know well enough to give a good answer.
There was one c-clip kind of spring. It was clipped when I took it apart. It seemed to have good clipping action. Its little turned up tang fit in the slot of the rest of the mechanism well.

Transfer spring is just worn out. You could try and "tighten" it by wrapping it around something smaller diameter but I don't recommend it unless you've done it before. Plus that doesn't last as long as a new part. I would just buy a new one to replace it if I were you.

Back