When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Violet Collegiate

-
It would be on backwards if I were taking back to the original 5 speed. However, as I think I stated in my first post, I am potentially converting this to a two speed kickback. So I believe this setup is correct for the two speed. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

The 5 speed chain ring is also thinner and made for a 3/32 chain. Once you get it all together then see if it needs to be aligned.

The 5 speed chain ring is also thinner and made for a 3/32 chain. Once you get it all together then see if it needs to be aligned.
Good point. Hadn't considered the thickness. I've got a middle weight parts bike I can steal a chainring from if need be.

Great bikes and really good job.
Something I've noticed before is shown here between these two bikes, and the others that have been pictured.
I'm sure you've noticed that the shifter cable jockey wheels are different sizes between the two.
So in the progression of these early collegiate 5 speeds there is "3 speed frame" small jockey wheel. 3 speed frame large jockey wheel. Downtube mounted shifter, and stem mounted shifter. All in 6-7 years +/-.
What are the year breaks?
Inquiring minds and all that....

Great bikes and really good job.
Something I've noticed before is shown here between these two bikes, and the others that have been pictured.
I'm sure you've noticed that the shifter cable jockey wheels are different sizes between the two.
So in the progression of these early collegiate 5 speeds there is "3 speed frame" small jockey wheel. 3 speed frame large jockey wheel. Downtube mounted shifter, and stem mounted shifter. All in 6-7 years +/-.
What are the year breaks?
Inquiring minds and all that....
When you say jockey wheel you must be referring to the pulley, the cable pulley? The shifters on these were mounted on the top tube not the down tube, and they were clamped on. The stem shifter came about on the 1967 models.

Put some time in over the last few weeks. The bars are from a 1977 and I may decide to swap them for the correct year later. Ran into a problem with one of the internal hub pieces. I have another 2 speed that I can take parts from. Hopefully get some time this weekend to do some more work.

IMG_7927.jpeg

IMG_7941.jpeg

IMG_7946.jpeg

IMG_7972.jpeg

IMG_7996.jpeg

IMG_8010.jpeg

IMG_8026.jpeg

Finished product (for the time being). Rides great. The two speed shifts great but there's a squeak when you first take off. I may take it back apart to see if there's anything going on. The chainring appears to function appropriately. I did check the width and the lightweight is 2mm thick versus 3mm on the middleweight. I've got a few accessories I'm cleaning up and will add as I go.
IMG_8231.jpeg

IMG_8233.jpeg

IMG_8240.jpeg

IMG_8242.jpeg

IMG_8234.jpeg

Back