When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help sorting out numbers on 68 Apple Krate

-

Dave A

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have posted in Birds of a feather so this is a follow up
I have been going thru the site and have found enough information to make my head explode.
All for the good thanks.
So my Apple Krate is in the basement where it is in long term storage and lighting isnt the best
so I took a flashlight and went looking for numbers.
Attached is a picture of the stamped numbers by the rear axle
What does it mean ??? And I was unable to find more numbers that I thought were at the steering neck
What am I missing ? I am the original owner so this bike hasn't been messed with
Any help as always is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Dave A

krate number r axle.jpg

krate r side with mitt.jpg

You have no problem, yours is a May 1968 Krate (First year?)
Schwinn serial numbers relocated to the neck starting in 1970.
Pretty sure the early Krates had white seat with colored stripe, reversed later on.

Ok thanks alot. The seat is original to the bike, and was well worn by my butt shining the stripe right off where I sat LOL
The bike was the first Apple Krate at my bike shop where my Dad did business.
I was going to get the Orange Krate as that was all the dealer had up to that point , but
when I saw the Apple Krate it was love at first site. The Bike shop was Smith Bike Shop in Berkley Michigan on 12 Mile rd and Greenfield rd , long since gone . The derailler guard and front wheel generator were installed by the dealer for me as Dad was not a
hands on tool kind of guy and only owned a hammer . ( He was a accountant )
I still have the first rear slick tire , but it is worn out . I have gone thru 2 or 3 front tires as those babies really spin .
The bike shop who put the last front tire on the bike was a old timer in Pinckney Mi. He loved my bike so much that while he was
putting the tire on he redid the front wheel bearing at no charge.
Bike will probably up for sale soon and I'm trying to sort out cleaning it up and when I got it .
My 12/13 year old self thought I got it at the end of 67 but that was a long time ago so it must have been in the Spring.
I'm done rambling for now . But Thank you so much for the information
Regards
Dave

You have no problem, yours is a May 1968 Krate (First year?)
Schwinn serial numbers relocated to the neck starting in 1970.
Pretty sure the early Krates had white seat with colored stripe, reversed later on.
Yes 100% correct 1968 Krate seats are a 1 yr only color scheme. Silver Glitter with some having a candy semitransparent (S) stripe. Such as the Orange Krate / Apple Krate / Pea Picker < yes they were out @ the end of 68 as well.<< 68 Peas are the Holy Grail of the Krate series. Produced for the 69 model yr. I did own 1 myself. Green Line slik all dated parts were 68 except it had the early style 69 shifter. Sold around 20+ yrs ago for $3000.00. 1968 Lemon Peeler had Silver Glitter w/solid yellow (S) stripe.

Last edited:
Shame you’re going to sell it, but we’re all only caretakers. I’d recommend NOT cleaning it with anything beyond a light feather duster. Seriously.

So I was planning on polishing the chrome and brightwork and waxing the paint. No paint work..
I would think that would be a good thing . Am I wrong .
I don't want to hurt the value if detailing it will do that .
Selling is probably going to happen as trying to downsize my stuff including the motorcycle I
have in my new member posts. I have Leukemia and cant feel my feet to ride safely due to
medicine causing neuropathy

Honestly I wouldn’t polish or wax the bike. Let the detailing go to the next caretaker; your efforts won’t increase the value five cents and there is the possibility of damaging a decal or the paint, or a chemical reaction from an improper cleaner on old paint and metal. Dust it and inflate the tires and stick to your guns on your price.

Sorry to hear of your health issues and wish you the best.

Back