When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Mainliner: Who Built It?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I got this bike in a deal I made for a '58 Hornet earlier this week. Despite crappy pictures (what is it with people, do they NOT want their items to sell?), I was intrigued by this one due to its color and the non-Schwinn cantilever frame (one of the truly glorious shapes of the modern world, IMHO). Sadly because it's a California bike the paint is pretty much shot, but the rust is all just superficial, and it's actually a pretty solid bike. Looking at the paint around the head tube it's obvious it had a tank at some point, now long gone. But now the question: who built it?

thumbnail_IMG_7504.jpg

I found a couple of threads here of nearly identical bikes, with 'Sears' logos on the tank; and Huffy built a version, but theirs was called a Galaxie. Or did Huffy build this for someone else?

My research deduced that this was built in 1963 due to the serial number beginning with a numeral rather than a letter.

thumbnail_IMG_7508.jpg

There was definitely a tank here at some point.

thumbnail_IMG_7509.jpg

I'm shocked, a real Bendix hub and brake, was expecting junk.

thumbnail_IMG_7510.jpg

Love these details

thumbnail_IMG_7511.jpg

My plan is just to fit some whitewalls, give it an 'oily rag' bath and a good overhaul. Been looking for a good coaster brake rider to knock about with, hope this fits the bill.

Thanks for the information, now I know who built it; but whose badge was on it?

I believe that Mainliner was a Huffman trademark, and in the 1960’s some space bikes had tanks with head lights about the head tube that obviated the head badges, leaving room for perhaps just a sticker?

Last edited:
Interesting, Mainliner was definitely a Huffy model in the '50s. But, normally I'd expect the second digit to be an H. Possibly 'W' for a Western Flyer? Or, Murray built Hiawathas had a 'WG 3' prefix...

I couldn’t wait for the tires I ordered, so I slapped a set of S7s shod with Schwinn Superior skinny whitewalls on it to see what it would look like and how it would ride.

48DA4557-1C63-4120-AB0D-25D7137BF89A.jpeg

0D0187BF-3C7B-4B5E-926E-82D9E6CF7D0F.jpeg

87FCBB3F-FC76-400D-8AEF-AE18624823EA.jpeg

Damned if they didn’t look just right on there, I may need to forget the wide whites I bought, the Superiors look pretty bitchin’. Oh, and the bike rode okay. It’s amazing the difference in quality between Schwinn and the other brands of the era, there’s just no comparison.

Finally got the new tires for the rims that came with the bike. Cleaned and polished the rims and got them mounted today. I'm happy with the results. Still can't decide whether or not to remove the rust from the other chrome parts, though I'm leaning toward leaving it as is.

thumbnail_IMG_7755.jpg

Back