When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn super sport color?

-

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
Cool thrift store find. Does anyone know what this green is called?

7514E638-520F-450C-B7DD-DD05D4BFA1E9.jpeg

37757883-7CF2-4ED5-9773-57164531D6A9.jpeg

Like GTs58 said, it is the rare color called by Schwinn as Opaque Green. It was only offered for 2 or 3 years in the first half of the 1970's.

Like GTs58 said, it is the rare color called by Schwinn as Opaque Green. It was only offered for 2 or 3 years in the first half of the 1970's.

It was also called Kool Green.

The reason it was only lasted for 2-3 years, is because it took the dealers 4 to 6 years to sell what they purchased! When you sit down and place a "factory order" it's just a check in the color box on the form. Every dealer liked to order a few of whatever new color came out. Many times, the first time you ever actually saw the real color was when you opened up the box to assemble the bike.

The actual production colors were never exactly like the samples. Terra Cotta was a very nice, rich color on a "hand painted" Paramount, but looked like it was missing the second or third coat on the production painted models. The Kool Green/Opaque Green bikes were a tough sell on the retail sales floor. The other color that qualifies for the "worst ever list" was a mauve color that came on some Mirada's and ladies Giant, maybe it was CBC produced ladies three speeds. It was like a Cracker Jack; you got a surprise in every box you opened.

John

I love that color. I've painted 3 bikes this color and they get a lot of attention and sell quickly.
Pretty much any shade of Green is a hot color right now. Green bikes sell right away in the shop.
I just sold my 67' Speedster painted this color last week. The guy had asked me to sell it to him every month for the past year.
Not sure if it would be an exact match for old paint, but Montana Colors light green is as close as I could find off the shelf.

Back