When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Krate Tire Code question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kodyind

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a 1969 krate I just bought and I am wanting see what year rear tire I have , the code is c431

I think this is it

PXL_20230319_215919236.jpg

And if this is not a 1969 then if I want to find one what code is a 1969
Very common to find replacement tires on these bikes as kids rode the heck out of them. There has been some discussions recently about how to tell a '69 from a '79, I believe the type of script on the tire is the key but still unsure. The code for a '69 tire would read something like 4-9. There was another manufacturer at the same time who used a different code it is 3 circles sectioned off in quarters with dots in the circles. Each quarter represents a year starting in 1960 and each dot indicates a quarter of that year.

That looks like a gripper slik, a '69 Krate would have a raised white letter slik I believe. I was wrong it would have been a gripper slik in late '69

C 43 1

C is Carlisle tire company, 4 is April, 3 is '73. Nobody knows what that last digit means, I've seen 1 - 3 on tires

Looks like a blackwall Gripper Slik to me, however, your 69 Krate would have used the color line version - what Krate do you own? Pea would have been green, Lemon would have been yellow, etc.

Original date coded color lines are expensive if you can find them. You can get a nice repro version for around $100-$125, look on Ebay, BicycleBones typically has them and maybe even Scott here from the CABE

Back