When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Motorbike Questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
best guess scenario on tank is probably from chicago cycle supply and sat around a distributor/dealer's shelf 'blank' so that whoever bought it could have a matched decal put on the tank of their bike(match to head badge). looks like it finally sold postwar(based on lettering style of decal). decal could be removed and a new(period correct) one added in the preservation. bike does have a pieced together look but interesting. good bones to start an interesting motorbike-built around the tank!

both fenders seem to be postwar-see double dimples (blade/truss rods)on front and front tab on rear fender bottom. the springer is early springer-look at the gentle curve usually seen from the pivot bolt up to the yoke. the wrench in the works is the shadow left by the head badge-has the postwar-ish post 1950 look!

both fenders seem to be postwar-see double dimples (blade/truss rods)on front and front tab on rear fender bottom. the springer is early springer-look at the gentle curve usually seen from the pivot bolt up to the yoke. the wrench in the works is the shadow left by the head badge-has the postwar-ish post 1950 look!
Yes it had an oval postwar "SCHWINN" badge on it. Looks like the bike was refurbished sometime in the '50s.

best guess scenario on tank is probably from chicago cycle supply and sat around a distributor/dealer's shelf 'blank' so that whoever bought it could have a matched decal put on the tank of their bike(match to head badge). looks like it finally sold postwar(based on lettering style of decal). decal could be removed and a new(period correct) one added in the preservation. bike does have a pieced together look but interesting. good bones to start an interesting motorbike-built around the tank!
As soon as I return from business next week I'll give someone that opportunity on DOND!

Dare I say that the pin stripes on the tank don't look as even as factory frame stripes. That white and the fender stripe look lighter than the frame's white. Not much paint knocked off on the dents at the bottom of the fenders...like you'd expect for damage to original paint on dents that size.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks pretty good just the way it sits? Well, a more appropriate saddle and maybe a crusty chrome hockey stick guard or something more period? 🤔

Don't mind me. I seem to have lost my way...

IMG_20230325_152346.gif

Last edited:
I’ve seen a couple of bikes like this. Possible Schwinn Guarantee factory work replacement? I think @cyclonecoaster.com has a 41 canti with postwar parts.
Yes Santi ... I do have a postwar Canti reverse color factory frame replacement that had all prewar parts hung on it ... Odd one that was ridden hard after the Schwinn frame was replaced - the frame itself has no head badge holes in it ... therefore no head badge was ever on it & the prewar spring fork doesn't really fit the postwar frame since the pre & post war frames have different head tube lengths ... etc. ... etc ...

So I ended up just rebuilding the bike as a post war & will eventually find a prewar frame for the prewar parts pulled off this project .. Schwinn stood behind their frame ... but they just didn't have the prewar frames any longer .. hence my odd mix match ...

In the case of your odd straight bar bike ... post war parts on a prewar frame .. who knows ... the bike is cool as it is .. add a light .. service it & make it Ridden not Hidden once again .. Frank

_nc_ohc=HQo1YRd-cgEAX80thaE&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back