When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Assistance in Identifying Abandoned Bicycle, 1950 Columbia?

-

AccessoriesMIA

Look Ma, No Hands!
I recently acquired a “nice” project for myself to work on in what free time I have. When I was inspecting it for what I would need to buy/do, I was unable to identify the maker so couldn’t figure out what parts I needed. I was told by the man who found it in a creek that it is probably a Columbia, however the frame doesn’t properly match that. I was wondering if anyone was able to identify this bicycle?

Note: I will probably be sending it off to have the rust removed, as I do not have a large anough space to make an electrolysis tank for it.

E246F58A-875C-4558-8E6E-1ADCFA8E0C77.jpeg

D2297D3D-D10C-4962-B9C1-23DD352BE543.jpeg

ECEB8088-D114-4BD3-AA9B-5C913EE4CF50.jpeg

0C0A33EF-2D1B-4D92-A7F0-97CF9D3BFA7B.jpeg

72F7499B-C9DB-48D7-ABB4-8593ADF13612.jpeg

DB23F978-EB18-43F1-B0F8-7F852D8D6FD0.jpeg

I recently acquired a “nice” project for myself to work on in what free time I have. When I was inspecting it for what I would need to buy/do, I was unable to identify the maker so couldn’t figure out what parts I needed. I was told by the man who found it in a creek that it is probably a Columbia, however the frame doesn’t properly match that. I was wondering if anyone was able to identify this bicycle?

Note: I will probably be sending it off to have the rust removed, as I do not have a large anough space to make an electrolysis tank for it.

View attachment 1810038

View attachment 1810039

View attachment 1810040

View attachment 1810041

View attachment 1810042

View attachment 1810043
Gonna be a good ride for you to bring back. How about Boiled linseed oil, service the rest and ride it?
I'm sure someone will chime in with the builder and date of build. Good luck.

Looks like the model that did not sport a tank, as the truss tube does not touch the top tube about the seat tube mast.

I’ve seen some Western Flyer bicycles (competitive model) like that, but maybe some earlier (see forks) Huffy bikes were of the same style (promotional model).

Last edited:
Post war Huffman built, who knows what it was badged as?
Thank you for the tip, I found this beautiful set of images. There is the possibility that this was a standard men’s bike, but if I will be restoring it, I might go full out and bring it into this condition. The frame bend on the bottom matched the one on my frame!

Thank you, Asa

C23C8D4A-7A6F-41AA-85E8-AD8BA7226C69.jpeg

I wouldn’t use that bike as a template for an accurate restoration-a lot of wrong there. Also you are starting with a pretty rough specimen and even if this was a near mint original wouldn’t have a lot of value. Just something to consider as you move forward.

Looks like the model that did not sport a tank, as the truss tube does not touch the top tube about the seat tube mast.

I’ve seen some Western Flyer bicycles (competitive model) like that, but maybe some earlier (see forks) Huffy bikes were of the same style (promotional model).
The tank like on that Firestone won't fit without some cutting and welding.

Post war Huffman built, who knows what it was badged as?
Thank you for the tip, I found this beautiful set of images. There is the possibility that this was a standard men’s bike, but if I will be restoring it, I might go full out and bring it into this condition. The frame bend on the bottom matched the one on my frame!

Thank you, Asa

9FEE4555-5369-4508-ABFE-3DD9B257DF60.jpeg

EE85F022-218F-42A7-9997-5CE8EC832D03.jpeg

Back