When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'45 Dx

-
Why do you not want to use this method? Go to "DX thread" and look at my '45, WD and steel wool wash and wax.
Actually, I have been using the WD40 and steel wool method on the DX. Since I wanted the DX to have a thread of it's own, I just drug out that first post from the "What bike did you work on today" thread and didn't want to take that part out, just in case someone had another method. I'm comparing the results to the straight bar that I did (attached). The DX is tougher and it seems like it doesn't want to clean up as well without rubbing much harder. It's working, but I've got to be careful that I don't rub too hard. Do you have a page number of your bike on the DX thread?
'48 Schwinn R Done copy.jpeg

Last edited:
Frame is cleaned and waxed. I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but in addition to the WD40 and 0000 steel wool, I gently scrubbed on some orange spray degreaser with the steel wool too, and it seemed to cut through the rough surface and make it smoother to the touch. Guess I'll do the fenders next and put the bike together as original unless I can find a matching front fender locally that will accept the springer fork.
IMG_6889.jpg

Last edited:
Frame is cleaned and waxed. I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but in addition to the WD40 and 0000 steel wool, I gently scrubbed on some orange spray degreaser with the steel wool too, and it seemed to cut through the rough surface and make it smoother to the touch. Guess I'll do the fenders next and put the bike together as original unless I can find a matching front fender locally that will accept the springer fork.
View attachment 1812363
Those fenders look nice and straight! I'd go with them. 👍

What do you use for wax? I've never used wax, just left it to gain some natural patina. Although I've recently used some gun oil that puts on a nice sheen without residue.

Back