When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

German Hercules Bicycle

-

gna

On Training Wheels
I found an abandoned Hercules bicycle last year--not the English Hercules, but the German one, from Nuremberg. I've gone through it, regreasing the bearings, overhauling the hub, replacing some parts. Two questions: The chainguard was broken, so I reglued it with styrene platic. I'm not sure how the clip mounts--is there a slot for the clip? The bike has a fitting near the rear wheel on one of the seat stays. I think it's some sort of cafe lock, but I can't figure it out. Any help?

Hercules.jpg

hercules fitting.jpg

-----

Thanks very much for sharing this interesting find with the forum! 😉

Hercules one of five or six German cycle marques which come from in and around Nurnberg. It is unrelated to the British Hercules. Motor cars were also produced.

Appears to date from somewhere between mid-1970's and early 1980's. You may have discovered a date marking on the shell of the rear hub. It is likely to be a Fichtel & Sachs product whether badged as Torpedo, Centrix, Durex, etc.

Here is a guide to reading the date markings:

Fichtel und Sachs, Torpedo dating.jpg

Yes, fitting on seat stay is wheel lock.

If you did not get the key do not press in the slider or you will be stuck.

Here are some similar fittings. They are pretty much standard on German & Dutch practical transportation cycles for adults.

This one is a proprietary design found on Monark & Crescent bicycles from Sweden -

MCB wheel lock bracket .jpg

MCB wheel lock mechanism .jpg

The one on the Hercules might be termed the "pill box" type. There is also a widely encountered "horse collar" type -

Cortina wheel lock being worn by 1947 Hercules .jpg

wheel lock closeup,   .jpg

wheel lock key    .jpg  .jpg

Hercules manufacturer catalogue 1982 -

-----

-----

Thanks very much for sharing this interesting find with the forum! 😉

Hercules one of five or six German cycle marques which come from in and around Nurnberg. It is unrelated to the British Hercules. Motor cars were also produced.

Appears to date from somewhere between mid-1970's and early 1980's. You may have discovered a date marking on the shell of the rear hub. It is likely to be a Fichtel & Sachs product whether badged as Torpedo, Centrix, Durex, etc.

Here is a guide to reading the date markings:

View attachment 1811078

Yes, fitting on seat stay is wheel lock.

If you did not get the key do not press in the slider or you will be stuck.

Here are some similar fittings. They are pretty much standard on German & Dutch practical transportation cycles for adults.

This one is a proprietary design found on Monark & Crescent bicycles from Sweden -

View attachment 1811079

View attachment 1811080

The one on the Hercules might be termed the "pill box" type. There is also a widely encountered "horse collar" type -

View attachment 1811082

View attachment 1811083

View attachment 1811084

Hercules manufacturer catalogue 1982 -

-----
@juvela, as much time as you must spend researching bicycles, I wonder how you have time for anything else!

@juvela, as much time as you must spend researching bicycles, I wonder how you have time for anything else!

-----

LOL -

Little excavation was needed as had participated in two prior discussions here at the forum concerning Hercules of Germany products.

One of which was on this very iron:

-----

@juvela thank you for the reply. It is indeed a Sachs 3 Speed hub with a coaster brake. I found directions online to rebuild it. They are very nice hubs. I will look for a date code. I looked through the catalog, and it looks like the Estrella on page 6.

I don't have a key for the wheel lock, so I will be careful with it. It looks like it says "Clou," on it. I googled Clou bike lock and found some info:

I will try to order a key, but it may not be available.

My daughter wants to ride the bike, as she spent the last year as an exchange student in Germany.

-----

Trelock a name familiar to many readers for their cable locks with integral key operated lock mechanism.

Have used them frequently on my own machines as a second lock to secure a wheel to the frame while the main lock secures the other wheel and frame to a fixed object such as a signpost or cycle rack.

-----

Back