When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Italian Head Badge thread

-
-----

regarding the oytoy headplates -

one quickly notices several "stock" shapes appearing over and over again

many/most must have been produced by a single company

have you ever explored who they were and what their years of operation were?

have no clues in that regard and have never seen it discussed...

might seem to fit in with the theme of the thread

-----
I had been thinking about that for some time always assuming that with the production of badges being specialized I had doubted that few if any bike producers actually fabricated their own badges, similar to how most pantographing is outsourced.
Since you brought up the subject I will see if I can find anything regarding badge manufacture.
I have had a very hard time just trying to find a modern company that can or will enamel some older badges for restorative purposes since most want to do large batches and not individual items.

-----

would think there are sure to be some Italian cycle industry "old timers" who have direct knowledge of this...

---

one avenue to explore for any current practitioners would be to contact the commercial attache at an Italian consulate

they have trade commission lists for every coneivable area of industrial endeavour

one downside of that route of investigation is that the maker we are seeking may have ceased play decades ago...

-----

-----

would think there are sure to be some Italian cycle industry "old timers" who have direct knowledge of this...

---

one avenue to explore for any current practitioners would be to contact the commercial attaché at an Italian consulate

they have trade commission lists for every conceivable area of industrial endeavor

one downside of that route of investigation is that the maker we are seeking may have ceased play decades ago...

-----
I might put in a request to Registro Storico Cicli and see if they have any information regarding this topic. Unfortunately, I have had trouble finding examples of some of my bikes I have (e.g. my presumed Atlas?), as well as the badge examples (e.g. Atlas) on their site. I did have a membership there for a year, but I was unable to access the site's material due to some sort of glitch, so I never renewed; and I do not know if they only reply to members.

Tovring (I believe this is a badge for the Italian Touring Club. Again, a rather odd specimen that appears to have been mounted via a set screw. I cannot find another example. Same diameter as US quarter and quite heavy for its size.)

20230211_124306~2.jpg

20230211_123549.jpg

20230211_123512.jpg

Olympia; Porta Romana (est. circa 1893 by Carlo Borghi; Fontana took over marque in 1960)

I am not sure which badge precedes the other; but I find it odd that in the band surrounding the foliage there are the different spellings: "OLIMPIA" (top) and "OLYMPIA" (bottom). Both badges have the main desigination as "Olympia". I have only see this type of dual spelling on Lygie/Ligie bikes; my bike has both spellings on the same frame ("Ligie" decals, "Lygie" head badge).

20230212_143230~2.jpg

20230120_213106~3.jpg

Last edited:
Stucchi & C.; Milano (est. circa 1874? or 1883? as Prinetti & Stucchi by Giulio Prinetti and Augusto Stucchi; later in 1901 as Stucchi & C. [later badges still having "Prinetti & Stucchi" imprinted on the lower portion]. First bikes produced circa 1892, factory closed circa 1926; presumably marque was sold since teams were sponsored post '26. Esperia purchased marque circa 2001.)(Edit: I do not know if there is any tie-in to the G. Stucchi marque out of Bassano)

Circa 1950s
Stucchi~2.jpeg

(photo credit: iceman @The CABE; edited by Jesper)

Circa early 60s
Stucchi 60s~2.jpg

(photo credit: P. DeSade @ Biciclassiche; edited by Jesper)

Last edited:
Cicli Fusar Poli; Busto Garolfo (est. 1975 by Marino and Luciano Fusar Poli; both were amateur racers with Luciano racing pro in the early '80s and becoming Italian Nat'l track champ in '82. Shop still exists being operated by Luciano's son. Bikes were made for them under contract by others [e.g. Rossin, Stebel] putting their own marque on the bikes)

Circa mid-late 80s
20230218_154529~2.jpg

Circa early to mid 80s (from Luciano's personal Stebel built track bike)
Fusar-Poli-Pista-Copper-Plated-01-1-scaled-800x532~2.jpg

(photo credit: cicliberlinetta; edited by Jesper)

Barletta? (no info. Barletta might be the location and/or the marque's name; the "B" might be coincidental with the name of the marque and its location. Again, unknown as to any specifics. Contacted a supplier who lives in Barletta Italy and he has never heard of the marque. I have not found another example on or off a frame.)

Without mounting holes makes me think it is circa 1960s (or later), assume it was mounted with adhesive yet no indication on the reverse of the badge.
20221103_200201~3.jpg

Last edited:
Cicli Gerbi; Milano (est. late 1910s. Giovanni Gerbi "Diavolo Rosso"; ex. racer first winner of Giro di Lombardia in 1905 when he "modified" the course before the race. Most badges have his place of birth, Asti, on them. I am not sure if he moved his shop from Milano to Asti.)

Note that the presumed earliest badge design does not indicate "Asti" unlike all later versions. Possibly the business operation changed from Milano to Asti very early in this marque's evolution. Also, Gerbi used seat tube badges at times with and without using head badges. All years are estimates/guesses.

I apologize for lack of photo credit info. Most likely from ebay and Subito sellers.

1927? Head badge and seat tube badge from same frame
Gerbi 1927 head badge~2.jpg

Gerbi 1927 seat tube badge.jpg

(photo credit: unknown, edited Jesper)

30s?
GERBI early3~2.jpeg

(photo credit: unknown; edited Jesper

Late 30s?-40s? from an early roadster rod-brake model
GERBI early~2.jpeg

(photo credit: unknown; edited Jesper)

40s?, 50s? Stripped badge and original paint
20230326_221700~2.jpg

GERBI early2~2.jpeg

40s?, 50s? found on "Terza" model
GERBI 50s Terza.jpeg

(photo credit: Italian Vintage Bikes)

50s? Reproduction decal (time period per seller "guessimate". I believe it is of an earlier period; possibly pre-WW2)
s-l1600 - 2023-03-25T180407.878~2.jpg

(photo credit: ebay seller pasvintage; edited Jesper)

Late 50s? Seat tube badge
Gerbi 50s seat tube badge~2.jpg

(photo credit: ebay seller labottegaonline2019; edited Jesper)

50s?-60s?
GERBI 50s~2.jpg

(photo credit: ebay seller ; edited Jesper)

Late 60s, early 70s found on "Settima" model
GERBI late 60s early 70s, Settima with Univ. Mignon & Valentino Extra.jpeg

(photo credit: Italian Vintage Bikes)

70s from child's "springer" model; very odd bike!
Gerbi 70s kids bike.jpg

s-l1600 - 2023-03-25T175456.293.jpg

(photo credit: ebay seller lego*ista)

GERBI early2~2.jpeg

Last edited:
-----

At last!

A marque well suited to perennial U.S. presidential candidate Pat Paulson.

-----

Back