When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Local bikes rule

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These are some of my local finds. I was the first collector to own each of these.

1937 Viking (Westfield) craigslist find. Bought from the family of the man who got it second hand when it was only a couple years old.
Still has the 1939 River Rouge MI and 1940 Detroit MI bike licenses.
Before and after:
v1-1024x576-jpg.jpg

20191231_103428-jpg.jpg

1970 Cotton Picker. Local ebay find from the original owner. He repainted it long ago, original paint was still intact under the repaint. I started cleaning up the chainguard, and sold it to a friend who cleaned it up the rest of the way. He did a great job and was able to preserve most of the original paint. I got it back in a trade, but ended up selling it again. I don't have an after clean up picture.
11-1024x576-jpg.jpg

This one found it's way to the local bike shop after an attic clean out. Before and after pic. Even found a nice tank for it. This is the only one of these I still have. Lots of cool stuff on it. Also still wearing it's 1938 Detroit bike license. Think it's a '37 or '38.
20180330_171310-jpg-jpg.jpg

20180924_171246-jpg-jpg.jpg

And last but not least, 1940? I think it was, Elgin Miss America. All original paint, except the front half of the frame, and where they slopped some on the fender and chainguard. Hard to see here, but this thing was loaded with pinstripes everywhere you looked. Ended up having a really nice original seat, under that seat cover. Sold to the same friend as that cotton picker. He cleaned it up, tracked down and painted the missing parts. Turned out super nice. Unfortunately I do not have an after pic of it either. This was a "make an offer" with one picture of this bike, on FB marketplace.
169087303_489657455783032_4707889073853449819_n.jpg

cool posts, I should have named this thread back yard beauties. picked this up today where it had sat on my local craigslist for a few weeks. would I have bought it at a swap, no. would I have bought it online, no it would cost half as much to ship as it's worth. it's missing the good stuff, it's just a backyard beauty

View attachment 1812267
That is an AWESOME local find!!!

This thread is on fire 🔥....so cool to see these local bikes getting rescued and added to the hobby. The only problem is that I hoard these local bikes more than anything else in my collection and they are starting to stack up......
I agree, I started this thread with too much caffeine and nicotine thinking about the few balloon bikes I have left, almost all local bikes, that I've kept for some reason, the racers that's another story. I'm blown away by some of your backyard beauty finds. this threads open to any bike found local that you were happy to pick up, be it the crusty middleweight, or the free spirit.

Back