When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with make and year

-
The red Western Flyer is a Monark built; Huffman acquired Monark in the later 1950’s. The red bike is a good example of how metallic paint was used in the 1950’s.

The metallic blue bike seems to be chipped like typical spray paint; and there is no other color, detailing or decals (i.e., all one color).
Also, we see an even pitting of the bottom bracket where the paint was recently stripped, does that surface look like it was previously sand blasted?

The reason to look on the insides, is that the paint in that area, underneath and behind the bearing cups, does not show, so the extra effort of removing original paint in that area is often not done.

Last edited:
For sure, this bike could have been other than a Hawthorne--or a Hawthorne, but lesser than the deluxe. I suggested looking for the holes because they would be definitive that its a Hawthorne. Don't know of any other use of this frame, by other names, that had the turn signal switch. (someone will now come along and prove me wrong)

35EH is the manufacture code which indicates the year and location of manufacture. The EH stands for the Excelsior Hawthorne plant in Michigan City, Indiana.

No idea what badge might have left the shadow, and the bike has been worked on, so who knows what might be original or not.

(For example, the painted rims do not reflect a deluxe model).

Looks like no original paint is left, perhaps check inside of the bottom bracket crank hanger and head tube for any paint remnants; I believe that black may have been popular in the 1950’s?

Tanks become available for these bikes from time to time.
Think I found the right badge at least in jpeg format.

FFCF3BA8-ED03-4F19-A6FA-307EDC7A658B.jpeg

The Western Flyer head badge kind of looks like a later (1960’s?) style; maybe the original was riveted in place and destroyed or otherwise just not re-used?
The link below shows a DP Harris Rollfast badge of the mid to late 1950’s.

Back