When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Finished! Completed Restoration of an 1860's Boneshaker Bicycle- New Update and Photos

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

The Carolina Rambler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello everyone, I would like to share some good news, that I have finally completed my restoration of a late 1860s "Boneshaker" Bicycle from Virginia, which has been 3 years in the making. Previous posts regarding this project can be read here:

I obtained this bicycle locally about 3 years ago now, and have been working on it, on and off, since then. It is now in 100 percent road ready finished condition, and I have ridden it a couple of miles so far, and it has been a challenge learning how to ride it. In fact, if it was any taller, or I, any shorter, I question if it would be possible. This machine will do about 5 to 10 miles per hour, and is actually a relatively smooth ride despite the name "boneshaker", but I can't see going any faster than that. It was also a great privilege knowing that when I rode it for the first time, that I was almost certainly the first person to do so in at least 100 years or more. This is considered a "Patina Restoration", where all of the original weathered finish has been left intact and as-is, and any new parts aged to match that. This bicycle required a brand new set of wheels, courtesy of Stutzman's Wheel Shop and Hansen Wagon Company. I also had to reupholster the seat, hand stitched and hand riveted with horsehair padding, fabricate some missing parts for the brake outfit, and fabricate new cranks and pedals from scratch. The cranks were formed by hand, starting with a modern set of adjustable cranks, and beat into correct profile with a large hammer, pedal threading removed, and plating stripped away and rusted to appear as century old rust. They were then affixed to the axle, with pins driven through them, and and the pins beaten flat on the ends. The pedal spindles were made from an old axle rod, ground into shape with a bench grinder and hand files, and threaded with a die. The wheels were decorated with green darts, and red pinstripes, and stained in such a way as to appear weathered from old times. The pedal blocks are also handmade and stained in that same way. It was quite a tremendous undertaking, but very rewarding, and has preserved a fascinating piece of American and Southern History, and I can now ride in style! It wouldn't surprise me if I spent 50 or more hours total completing this project. Thank you for reading, and for those who have helped me along the way! Please feel free to comment or ask any questions you may have

1681340406383.png

1681340429837.png

1681340450755.png

Here is the bicycle 3 years ago in my backyard when I brought it home that day, as found.
1681340508299.png

1681340528093.png

1681340549490.png

1681340568095.png

Here are my 2 complete Boneshaker bicycles, both are in roadworthy condition
1681340692865.png

Fortunately, I have only fallen once (so far) in learning how to ride this bicycle. I have since learned more properly how to get up on top of it and ride it, and dismount it, but I still am practicing. I am getting close to being proficient thought. Luckily I got away this time with just a little mud on my pants!
1681340814431.png

Wow!
It looks fabulous!
Congratulations on getting that one over the finish line.
That is always a special moment when you know, that you’re the first person to propel the bicycle in decades.
Especially in your case, when it’s most likely been over a Century.
That is a very special moment, for sure.

Wow!
It looks fabulous!
Congratulations on getting that one over the finish line.
That is always a special moment when you know, that you’re the first person to propel the bicycle in decades.
Especially in your case, when it’s most likely been over a Century.
That is a very special moment, for sure.
Thank You! It was certainly a fun time and exciting

Outstanding accomplishment; what a beautiful bicycle! Kudos to the photographer for capturing the action shot. I am glad you only suffered dirty knees.
Thank You! That is actually a still from a short video that was being taken. The video of my fumbling is so dismal, that I was too embarrassed to show the whole thing! Maybe someday I'll get up the nerve and post it on YouTube

Hello everyone, I would like to share some good news, that I have finally completed my restoration of a late 1860s "Boneshaker" Bicycle from Virginia, which has been 3 years in the making. Previous posts regarding this project can be read here:

I obtained this bicycle locally about 3 years ago now, and have been working on it, on and off, since then. It is now in 100 percent road ready finished condition, and I have ridden it a couple of miles so far, and it has been a challenge learning how to ride it. In fact, if it was any taller, or I, any shorter, I question if it would be possible. This machine will do about 5 to 10 miles per hour, and is actually a relatively smooth ride despite the name "boneshaker", but I can't see going any faster than that. It was also a great privilege knowing that when I rode it for the first time, that I was almost certainly the first person to do so in at least 100 years or more. This is considered a "Patina Restoration", where all of the original weathered finish has been left intact and as-is, and any new parts aged to match that. This bicycle required a brand new set of wheels, courtesy of Stutzman's Wheel Shop and Hansen Wagon Company. I also had to reupholster the seat, hand stitched and hand riveted with horsehair padding, fabricate some missing parts for the brake outfit, and fabricate new cranks and pedals from scratch. The cranks were formed by hand, starting with a modern set of adjustable cranks, and beat into correct profile with a large hammer, pedal threading removed, and plating stripped away and rusted to appear as century old rust. They were then affixed to the axle, with pins driven through them, and and the pins beaten flat on the ends. The pedal spindles were made from an old axle rod, ground into shape with a bench grinder and hand files, and threaded with a die. The wheels were decorated with green darts, and red pinstripes, and stained in such a way as to appear weathered from old times. The pedal blocks are also handmade and stained in that same way. It was quite a tremendous undertaking, but very rewarding, and has preserved a fascinating piece of American and Southern History, and I can now ride in style! It wouldn't surprise me if I spent 50 or more hours total completing this project. Thank you for reading, and for those who have helped me along the way! Please feel free to comment or ask any questions you may have

View attachment 1820291

View attachment 1820292

View attachment 1820293

Here is the bicycle 3 years ago in my backyard when I brought it home that day, as found.
View attachment 1820294

View attachment 1820295

View attachment 1820296

View attachment 1820297

Here are my 2 complete Boneshaker bicycles, both are in roadworthy condition
View attachment 1820299

Fortunately, I have only fallen once (so far) in learning how to ride this bicycle. I have since learned more properly how to get up on top of it and ride it, and dismount it, but I still am practicing. I am getting close to being proficient thought. Luckily I got away this time with just a little mud on my pants!
View attachment 1820300
A true historical masterpiece!

Back