When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Bendix Two Speed Automatic Disassembly Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Krakatoa

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I'm working on a 1961 Bendix 2 speed kickback Red band unit. Is there a way to disassemble this to get to the bearing or is it a factory assembled unit?

Thanks in advance

Nate VT
401-548-9082

IMG_20230418_123926960.jpg

IMG_20230418_123930921.jpg

IMG_20230418_123938491.jpg

IMG_20230418_123946403.jpg

IMG_20230418_123957839.jpg

IMG_20230418_124006242.jpg

Not sure, but a hammer may be needed Nate. That cover looks to have survived some earlier beatings that have bent it up and now it could be hung up? 🫥

I've definitely seen worse in terms of looks...
Brake arm chatter tends to wear and work the thin edge of the dust cover into a very tight fit. The dust cover does come off with some persuasion. Small taps with a hammer around the edge while pushing down.

Or be a mongrel, rip it off, and buy a new one....

Nate, the dust cap is pressed on to the splined cone. Open your vise jaws just enough to clear the retainer, and use a plastic/brass hammer to knock it out. If you deform the cap, just turn it over and tap it flat again. The retainer will also come off the cone.

John

Thanks guys I figured it was something like this! I started to do what is suggested the other day but backed off to inquire if I was doing it right. I'll give it a harder whack tomorrow.

Again, it will come off with some gentle persuasion.
Just like the regular Bendix hubs, if the cage is well worn, you're gonna lose a couple balls...so plan ahead and do it over a container. It's not the end of the world if they fall out either. If they all fall out in the removal process, it's safe to say the bearing assy needs replaced.

Edited to add: Don't try to pull it straight off or all at once. Treat it like a really tight expensive O-ring you don't want to nick, once the first half is over the ridge, it will plop off.

Last edited:
Back