When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing my French 1930s bicycle

-
I was just checking before informing you about it, lol.
You're right, Tontonvelo (like The Cabe) is a very useful resource.
Congratulations on a great job, enjoy riding it!

et puis, even though the belle sacoches provide the same effect, many were equipped with decorative "skirt guards" that fastened to multiple holes in the rear fender, come ca:

View attachment 1824976
I would have loved to attach one of those skirt guards but the rear fender doesn’t have the small perforations to fix the crochets. Too bad because I often use my bicycle with dress, skirt and heels.
I did know about the lyotard pedals - in fact I probably will buy a pair - but I did not know they made ladies versions. Amazing I want those 😍

I would have loved to attach one of those skirt guards but the rear fender doesn’t have the small perforations to fix the crochets. Too bad because I often use my bicycle with dress, skirt and heels.
I did know about the lyotard pedals - in fact I probably will buy a pair - but I did not know they made ladies versions. Amazing I want those 😍
you can drill the necessary holes, AFTER you find a nice set of skirt guards, thus having the precise amount of holes, as they do vary.
Bicloune used to have a nice selection of them.

At the cost of originality, you can remove the guts of the tire driven generator and replace it with a 9 volt battery, and replace the old lamps with 12v LED bulbs. More and safer light, and you no longer feel like you are pedaling uphill for a wan flicker of light. And they won't burn out in the middle of a downhill run after dark!

That is a wonderful bike, thank you for displaying it. Regarding the original lighting, which is often below par for present day riding due to much brighter street and motor vehicle lights (causes night blindness); you might check the bulb to make sure it is correct for the dynamo voltage, also verify that the dynamo is putting out the correct voltage using a voltage meter or multimeter. You might be able to change the bulb to a different voltage rating to increase brightness, but expect it to have a shorter lifespan (have spare bulbs). The previous advice is also quite good as I have done similar modifications which do not alter the aesthetics, only the performance. I have put batteries in the lamp housing with an LED bulb(s) and eliminated the dynamo altogether (2 x 1.5VDC with high intensity bulb, approx. 100ft range with a tight beam reflector; approx. 30-50ft floodlight reflector).
I have fabricated leather skirts for the rear wheel using "scrap" leather that was salvaged from old furniture. I will try to locate a photo if I have one. I have a "repurpose" business near me that has plenty of leather (cowhide) both salvaged and old stock from closed businesses. I practised on small pieces making cuts into the sheet and stretching it out like paper dolls. Not easy, but I make my own drum head skins (goathide) also so I already had experience working with leather.
Nice chainguard!

Last edited:
Very good job! Skirt guards would be more appropriate. May be earlier than 1936. Serial number may help to confirm

Very smart bicycle you have my wife enjoys dressing the part along with me on vintage bike rides - in the photo an American Elgin that was bought over to France and customized to a great extent while there - bought it back over here 25+ years ago

20200531_191614.jpg

I hope to find a French bike. This is a work of art, and I would love to ride something with a bit of my blood in it.
Great Bike, Thank you for sharing.

Robin.

Back