When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GIBSON Pedals Thread!!! Post Up Your GIBSON Photos...

-

JBone

Finally riding a big boys bike
Anyone have information on the origins of GIBSON pedals?

Are you running GIBSON pedals on a bicycle or have a set awaiting a future project?

I just picked up a clean set from my local CL.

Being sort of new to pre-50's bicycles I've not seen them before yet already very fond of design and who can beat the look of an alloy frame with a block letter GIBSON branded pedal block!!!

Patent date of July 10 1923 will be 100 years old this summer.

IMG_0393(1).jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

These 4 slots at 90 degrees are interesting. I'm assuming some sort of indexing or tooling marks from the manufacturing process...

IMG_0396.jpg

Had these attached to a 1941 CCM Ladies' 'loop' bike that I like to ride around the neighbourhood. I totally forgot where I picked them up - maybe Canadian Vintage Bike Show a few years back? The original pedal blocks were slippery from being smooth through years of use - couldn't even read the brand stamp. Got these new pedal blocks courtesy of Ron Miller - thanks Ron! I ride them fairly regularly now. I like the loop frame - it's easy to step through, even if I am carrying a heavy pack.

You can read more about Mr. Gibson and the CCM staff in the 20's in the book 'The CCM Story' by John McKenty. John runs a website I visit often at vintageccm.com . I don't have a copy at my fingertips, but from my recollection, Gibson was an executive (manager or vice president I think). He helped to run the factory and develop new ideas. The factory was at the corner of Lawrence and Ralph here in Toronto, and carried on business there from 1917 to 1980. There is a nearby street called Gibson Avenue, I am pretty sure named after that guy.

Funny, never noticed those four hash marks where the spindle enters the body. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry these ones are a little dirty and slightly worn, but I do enjoy riding on them .. ..

Glad you appreciate these pedals. They are precision made for easy running.

Those marks look like peen marks. To hold something in place so it doesn't loosen or spin. Is that a steel bearing cup in the alloy end plate?

Those marks look like peen marks. To hold something in place so it doesn't loosen or spin. Is that a steel bearing cup in the alloy end plate?
The bulbous end cup is chrome plated steel attached by pan head machine screws to an aluminum pedal chassis...

Had these attached to a 1941 CCM Ladies' 'loop' bike that I like to ride around the neighbourhood. I totally forgot where I picked them up - maybe Canadian Vintage Bike Show a few years back? The original pedal blocks were slippery from being smooth through years of use - couldn't even read the brand stamp. Got these new pedal blocks courtesy of Ron Miller - thanks Ron! I ride them fairly regularly now. I like the loop frame - it's easy to step through, even if I am carrying a heavy pack.

You can read more about Mr. Gibson and the CCM staff in the 20's in the book 'The CCM Story' by John McKenty. John runs a website I visit often at vintageccm.com . I don't have a copy at my fingertips, but from my recollection, Gibson was an executive (manager or vice president I think). He helped to run the factory and develop new ideas. The factory was at the corner of Lawrence and Ralph here in Toronto, and carried on business there from 1917 to 1980. There is a nearby street called Gibson Avenue, I am pretty sure named after that guy.

Funny, never noticed those four hash marks where the spindle enters the body. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry these ones are a little dirty and slightly worn, but I do enjoy riding on them .. ..

Glad you appreciate these pedals. They are precision made for easy running.
Great information, I did not realize Gibson was a Canadian brand. I will look into purchasing a copy of the CCM book. Your pedals are awesome. Thank you for posting the photos.

Back