When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wax on …. Wax off …. 😩

-

60sstuff

Wore out three sets of tires already!
It happened to me decades ago and I know it’s happened to others.

You find this Stingray that needs servicing and detail so out comes the wax to make it shine again.

For the unsuspecting person that dry chalky “screened” lettering on the chain guard and the fork darts are disappearing when the wax is being removed.
WHAT THE ?? Damage has been done.

Unfortunately I have seen this happen many times to many bikes.

Below photos seem to show an Original as found 1965 Flamboyant Lime that suffered this fate.
This 3 speed Stingray with the trigger shifter and Silver Glow Saddle had a decent “reverse screen” chain guard and fork darts until someone did their detail.
The last photo shows the before and after. The guard and darts have been ruined.

The method I use to enhance the “Screens” is a very gentle wax using only 100% carnauba.
The top tube “Decals” and seat tube decal are more durable, but still use caution when waxing.

PS, Never ever try to clean the seat tag! The black on that rear tag will completely wipe off.

IMG_8372.jpeg

IMG_6186.jpeg

IMG_6187.jpeg

IMG_8371.jpeg

Last edited:
No doubt Chris, happened to me once years ago and will never happen again - tough lesson learned on a nice early Lime wingtip guard as well. Every time I walked by the bike, I was reminded of my stupidity and eventually had it rescreened to stop the tormenting LOL.

When I get a new bike, I remove the guard and set it aside as I start to detail the rest. I typically start the process with a soapy spray bath but never get the guards wet.

The early wingtip guards seem to have the most fragile screens - you are a brave man to even use carnuba on the screen face, anymore I pretty much leave that alone and detail around the lettering with a Q tip and degreaser, if at all. I have found the later 60's Stingrays and the Krates/Fastbacks have screening that is much less likely to be damaged with some careful handling and pure carnuba (no cut or abrasives) wax applied.

When I see a prospective bike for sale and talk to the seller I urge them to not touch the bike before I pick it up. I just saw a friend get a pristine Slik Chik, but when he got there the guard was nearly wiped clean by the seller "sprucing it up" for him with some Windex!

No doubt Chris, happened to me once years ago and will never happen again - tough lesson learned on a nice early Lime wingtip guard as well. Every time I walked by the bike, I was reminded of my stupidity and eventually had it rescreened to stop the tormenting LOL.

When I get a new bike, I remove the guard and set it aside as I start to detail the rest. I typically start the process with a soapy spray bath but never get the guards wet.

The early wingtip guards seem to have the most fragile screens - you are a brave man to even use carnuba on the screen face, anymore I pretty much leave that alone and detail around the lettering with a Q tip and degreaser, if at all. I have found the later 60's Stingrays and the Krates/Fastbacks have screening that is much less likely to be damaged with some careful handling and pure carnuba (no cut or abrasives) wax applied.

When I see a prospective bike for sale and talk to the seller I urge them to not touch the bike before I pick it up. I just saw a friend get a pristine Slik Chik, but when he got there the guard was nearly wiped clean by the seller "sprucing it up" for him with some Windex!
Mike,
You nailed it with that reply.
I do the exact same thing, including a polite warning to sellers that have a Stingray with a very nice screened guard to not clean or even sneeze on that guard as it will be ruined instantly.

I’m amazed that any of these bikes have survived with the screened on graphics still intact.
All it takes is one hit with some Simple Green, or WD-40, and they’re gone!
So, it’s a miracle that in the 50+ years of these bikes existence, that nobody ever wiped the bike down with some type of cleaning fluid.
This thread should be required reading for anybody even thinking of getting a Sting-Ray.
The admonition, not to wipe down the bike, to a potential seller is also a must.

Last edited:
This is good information,same happened to me.
The lettering must really be thin !
Is there any coating that can be applied to protect the lettering?
Thank you.

Just seen it happen here almost "before our eyes" in the for sale section when a cabe veteran got a little over zealous with the scrubbing on a "couple month only" guard screening on a crusty 70's Schwinn!

Back