When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could restore a bike to look NOS

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Let's hear your thoughts... what is it about restored bikes that you don't like?
That they're new and shiny. Doesn't do anything for me, I will walk (or scroll) right past it without thinking twice, but I'll stop to look at something cool that is original. I guess it's similar to how some people don't like Schwinns, or some only collect muscle bikes, while others only collect prewar bikes. Just personal preference.
The fact that many people use the word restored incorrectly, doesn't help. Seems like the majority of "restorations" are either overdone, or done incorrectly with wrong or missing parts. To me, in order to truly restore something, is to bring it back to exactly how it left the factory. There was a guy on ebay not too long ago selling a "restored" bike, where everything (including the tires!) was spray painted black. The word just gets tossed around too loosely.

What if you could restore a bike to where it looks NOS, rather than restored? Would you like it then?
If I personally had the ability to do this, I still wouldn't, simply because I prefer original. If someone else were to accomplish this, I don't know if I'd like it or not without seeing it. It would probably depend on the execution of said restoration; however, nothing beats original.

I guess, to answer the question of;
Would you buy an exact replica, if every detail was adhered to?
Then, the answer for me, is yes.
View attachment 1827801The bike I’m riding today, is an exact replica of a 1980’s Cook Bros Racing, 3 Bar Cruiser.
Would I like an original example? Sure!
But, in todays collector market, just the frame would cost somewhere in the $10,000 to $20,000 dollar range.
That’s just the frame!
No fork, no stem, no handlebar, just the bare frame.
Well, I’m not a BMX collector, so what I wanted was the ride/build quality of a Cook Bros bike without the $25,000 dollar price tag.
And to my good fortune, there happens to be a guy about five miles from my house that builds an exact replica, in every detail.
The price at the time of purchase, was around $1,500 give or take a few bucks.
I think the only real tell between one of Johnny’s frames and an original Cook Bros frame would be the serial number stamping.
He did incorporate one tell inside the frame, but you have to pull the fork out to see it.
The vent holes between the tube stations are little smiley faces.
Maybe a cruel joke for someone down the road, who buys one of these, thinking they are getting the real McCoy?
I don’t know, but it is a classic touch.
If I pulled the sticker kit off of this frame, it would be hard to tell at a glance, that it’s a replica.
But, I’m not trying to fool anybody.
I didn’t buy it, because I was trying to impress anybody.
In fact the guys you’d be trying to fool, hate these things, because they are too good.
My reasons for buying one, is because I like the way they look and the way they ride.
It’s as simple as that.
So in closing, I ask you;
If someone made an “exact” replica of a 1937 Elgin Bluebird, and was able to sell them for $1,500 dollars, would you buy one?

That is cool, does he have a website? And yes, I'd probably buy an exact replica of a '37 BB for $1500. Now, a '38 on the other hand, I wouldn't want.

... Just sold this decent OG paint '53 Phantom locally ...
... The owner of a body shop bought it and said he is going to restore it ... 😖

View attachment 1827728

That is a real shame that the new owner is going to restore it. That's nicer than the one I'm cleaning up and keeping original. I thought about giving you a call when I saw it posted, but don't really need two of them.

I would love to restore to NOS apperance the way they rolled off the line.
I personally like them restored or like new, being a painter for 35 years The paint used in old days was not that great to say the least compared to what we have today. To see them rusting away is not preserving them. When cars get in that shape we paint and fix them. But everyone has their own likes and dislikes. It's just paint or protective coating as paint people refer to it that only lasts so long then needs to be replaced. If it's skilled workmanship probably better than new. A bike that is in nice shape with good original coating should stay that way or be touched up if needed.

Great post-- lots of spilled blood. I got my knife out so here goes. Herder, hoarder, or restorer. Do you have a junkyard, a stable of runners or a display of show bikes/originals. I have all three. If the bike is a donor with missing parts--no choice. It would be a heartbreaker and dumpster bait for the next generation, so restore. If it is motorized, it runs or, it is a sculpture. Leno has the right idea. Options depend on what it is? In my world most people and most things are not bad, except bike thieves.

I do have the new Schwinn Sting reissue and the new Mongoose Supergoose reissue. I was really surprise but both in my opinion are better bikes than their original counterparts by far, much better riding. The normal person is much more interested in shiney and new looking, non collectors.

20230410_144837.jpg

sting.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a thought.... some of you may be aware of how nutty Corvette collectors can get about restorations. There's even the National Corvette Restorers Society, with guidelines for restoration and judging. They are incredibly obsessed with detail. You need to have the correct amount of gloss on the paint, not just overall but in the right spots! The lower portions of the body and the door jambs must be somewhat dull, while the rest can be polished. There has to be the correct amount of overspray from the body color onto the chassis, etc. They want the car to look like it just rolled off the assembly line, with zero miles on it. What if we took the same approach to restoring bicycles?
You are absolutely correct. I’ve done one car like that in my life. A1963 Chevy. The orange peel had to be so on the top deck areas. Man it was crazy. And duplicating the crayon marks on the firewall. Single stage enamel paint. It was a rough experience. I would never do that again.

This is a topic I've done a 180 on since collecting in earnest. There are several projects still in my cue that I originally had plans for total restorations and if I were a little more diligent and had more free time they would have been done that way. But I'm glad it turned out this way. As I approach retirement, being older and wiser these bicycles, with a few exceptions will be cared for properly.

Since joining and learning on the CABE, I'm now of the opinion that a complete restoration should be reserved for only the completely unsalvageable cosmetically speaking. The bicycle has a history and a story. And while even if it's unknown, it's left to our imagination and fascination.

Some complete restorations to me appear a bit too sterile, with certain liberties or creative license taken that just smack of desperation. While some are done very well, I have just as much respect and admiration in the talent and efforts placed in creating a faux patina look to keep an otherwise original bicycle as genuine as possible.

For me it's CRC, Crusty, Rusty and Crazing. Full restore is a last resort.

Last edited:
To me, a restoration is bringing as much of the old bike back to original as possible. I am aware of what is called the "George Washington Hatchet" overrestoration in which unrestorable parts are replaced with what it may have looked like back then.
However for bikes I am of the opinion there are several acceptable exceptions regarding replacements: totally worn out rubber parts like tires and handgrips should be allowed to use either NOS or new manufactured replica parts, especially if they are safety items, these were expected to be replaced when worn out. Leather items such as saddles and saddlebags are a slippery slope; I'd rather show badly worn, but repaired as best as possible but retaining the age patina. For instance I am looking for NOS or matching replica handgrips for a Schwinn Continental with a 1948 build date. The saddle is worn, but usable. Everything else is original except the tires. The French derailleur put on when new is a whole other story. Although worn and scratched, the frame and decals are still there and will remain "as is" after careful cleaning. Rechrome? No, I'll just bring original chromed parts back as best I can with Simachrome paste polish. The appearance will be a meticulosly maintained original Schwinn Continental.

Back