When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clearcoating over original weathered patina paint pros and cons.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinndemonium

Finally riding a big boys bike
I've been thinking about taking my 1947 Westfield built JC Higgins tank bike totally apart to clearcoat the original weathered and lightly surface rusted paint to try and preserve the paint in that state. That is because about 5 years ago, when I went to wet sand the old paint with a sanding sponge, when the bike was wet, more of the color detail was showing than it was when it was dry. I was figuring, if I would clearcoat it, that would lock in that detail and make the bike look better without repainting the actual colors on the thing. What do you guys think? Would this make the bike look better, or would it end up totally ruining the original finish on the thing?

Old '47 April 20, 2023 is now 75 years old and still kicking!!.JPG

I've been thinking about taking my 1947 Westfield built JC Higgins tank bike totally apart to clearcoat the original weathered and lightly surface rusted paint to try and preserve the paint in that state. That is because about 5 years ago, when I went to wet sand the old paint with a sanding sponge, when the bike was wet, more of the color detail was showing than it was when it was dry. I was figuring, if I would clearcoat it, that would lock in that detail and make the bike look better without repainting the actual colors on the thing. What do you guys think? Would this make the bike look better, or would it end up totally ruining the original finish on the thing?

View attachment 1829827
Have you tried a good quality waxing? I would cut and wax it first and see how far it can come back. I would suggest boiled linseed before a spray clear coat.

The wax would just collect around the rust blisters that I could not remove. This paint is so old that any attempt at waxing it would remove too much detail, also as well.

What is boiled linseed?

What is boiled linseed?
Boiled Linseed oil is a product used in oil base paint that is clear and dries to a nice luster. It dries out and wears off over time and needs to be re applied. Lots of good examples of its use on the site. The new stuff at Hdeephole is nothing like the old stuff. It last for ever if you know anyone with an old can of it often times it is still good to go. Try some on the under side of your fenders first but I think you will like what you get from it.

Basically, it sounds like a good idea, but I want something that is not high maintenance. Once and done is what I am after, as I feel I may not have much time left that I can deal with this before I turn the bike over to the next steward, and let them take care of it after me. But I do want to leave it in better shape than it was when it was given to me.

I think it looks amazing as is! It’s only original once. I’ve had good luck with liquid rubbing compound and a Terry cloth towel. Green scour pad on more aggressive crust. Some use 0000 steel wool. Try in lesser seen areas to test. It’s your bike of course to do as you please. If you look to resell later that clear coat will not help your cause.

Jim, I strongly suggest wiping that down with Boiled Linseed oil. It's quick, easy and will last for a long time unless you leave the bike outside and wash it frequently. If stored inside, you may not have to mess with it again. And even if you do, it's as easy as just doing a quick wipe down.

Broke Bastard gives you all the details. His truck is outside and driven, and he said it lasts for quite a while.

Back