When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Paramount : how old ?

-
A few illustrations of the crank differences, Superior track versus Continental tourist. (The Superior tourist is the AS&CO type). The lesser-known Superior Club Sports appears to employ the Superior track-type crank.

View attachment 1808833

IMG_2817 Medium.jpeg

Superior track versus Continental tourist.jpeg

IMG_2816 Medium.jpeg

IMG_2819 Medium.jpeg

IMG_2817 Medium.jpeg

A few illustrations of the crank differences, Superior track versus Continental tourist. (The Superior tourist is the AS&CO type). The lesser-known Superior Club Sports appears to employ the Superior track-type crank.

View attachment 1808833

View attachment 1808834

View attachment 1808835

View attachment 1808836

View attachment 1808837

View attachment 1808838
Hello again,
I’ve collected some parts for my build. the parts pictured are what in trying to use for my 1938 Schwinn superior track bike. Are the cranks correct and which is the correct crank spindle for my project?
Black spindle is 122mm and second is 127 mm . Both are Schwinn made. Any chance we could talk by phone ?
I’m confused and frustrated as you’re the only one who seems to have the right info.
Please let me know
Thanks,
Dave

IMG_2665.jpeg

IMG_2666.jpeg

IMG_2667.jpeg

IMG_2668.jpeg

IMG_2669.jpeg

IMG_2670.jpeg

If you test fit both spindles with the cranks you have (including test fitting a cotter) you likely will find that only the 127mm aligns with the cotters correctly (on the drive side). The crank is likely from a Continental, as it appears to have 1/2" pedal threads and has the extra depth for chain guard clearance. This is not a deal breaker for you, unless you are dogged in making it fully correct on the first go. The pedal holes can be drilled out and tapped for 9/16 threads relatively easily, or you can simply use 1/2" threaded pedals. Finding Superior track cranks is a labor of patience, and there is no reason not to build it with what you have and keep searching for what you want.

I cannot do a phone call this week, as I am overseas on vacation until May 8th...what I have written should give you what you need. The 122mm spindle will work for you if you are able to find a Superior (or even a Paramount) track crank...both spindles look to be in great shape, and both are hard to find, so I'd hold on to them. Best of luck.

Back