When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Bendix Hub is this?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BrianInPA

Finally riding a big boys bike
Having trouble determining what model this is, appreciate any help! From a 1956 Ward's Hawthorne Deluxe

20230501_214603.jpg

20230501_215309.jpg

20230501_214541.jpg

Last edited:
This might be "off topic" answer, but you have supplied a great photo for me to pass along some rebuilding information.

Sometimes you might have a rear wheel with a Bendix Multi Speed hub, and NOT have all of the parts to make it shift. Basically you need a Bendix trigger lever handle, a cable, and a "toggle looking" part that screws onto the right side of the rear axle and pushes the long screw inside the axle to make it shift from low gear into high gear.

Without anything connected to the axle it will stay in low gear. You have two options. If you have the axle toggle part you can gerry rig it to shift the hub into high gear by wiring the toggle. A better option is to remove the sun gear from the axle. The gear is "offset" and can be reversed. Just use a small flat blade screw driver and unscrew the long screw inside the axle. Reverse the gear, and reassemble the hub. It's maybe a five minute job after you figure it out. The hub will be in "direct drive" or "high gear" and operate just like a normal Bendix coaster brake.

It was a lot easier back when parts were cheap and also plentiful.

John

This might be "off topic" answer, but you have supplied a great photo for me to pass along some rebuilding information.

Sometimes you might have a rear wheel with a Bendix Multi Speed hub, and NOT have all of the parts to make it shift. Basically you need a Bendix trigger lever handle, a cable, and a "toggle looking" part that screws onto the right side of the rear axle and pushes the long screw inside the axle to make it shift from low gear into high gear.

Without anything connected to the axle it will stay in low gear. You have two options. If you have the axle toggle part you can gerry rig it to shift the hub into high gear by wiring the toggle. A better option is to remove the sun gear from the axle. The gear is "offset" and can be reversed. Just use a small flat blade screw driver and unscrew the long screw inside the axle. Reverse the gear, and reassemble the hub. It's maybe a five minute job after you figure it out. The hub will be in "direct drive" or "high gear" and operate just like a normal Bendix coaster brake.

It was a lot easier back when parts were cheap and also plentiful.

John
Interesting, I was going to ask about that very thing, really appreciate the info! I definitely do not have the parts to make it shift and would prefer a single speed anyway, so this good news. I'm sort of wondering if that is how someone before me was running it and if all that is done. The hub was locked solid last week, I loosened it a little and I did make a quick ride down the driveway before I tore into it.

So it is the gear with the three little gears that would need to be reversed in this process?

Interesting, I was going to ask about that very thing, really appreciate the info! I definitely do not have the parts to make it shift and would prefer a single speed anyway, so this good news. I'm sort of wondering if that is how someone before me was running it and if all that is done. The hub was locked solid last week, I loosened it a little and I did make a quick ride down the driveway before I tore into it.

So it is the gear with the three little gears that would need to be reversed in this process?
Yes, it's the larger gear, the one that fits around the axle. You can see the keyway in your photo. Just use a small flat blade screwdriver, unscrew the push rod screw from the end of the axle and the keys will pop out. Reverse the gear (shoulder is different on each side) and reassemble. The cool part is that it's a completely reversable modification. If and when you find the rest of the external parts just disassemble the hub and reverse the modification. All the parts go back into the hub, nothing is removed and left out.

John

Yes, it's the larger gear, the one that fits around the axle. You can see the keyway in your photo. Just use a small flat blade screwdriver, unscrew the push rod screw from the end of the axle and the keys will pop out. Reverse the gear (shoulder is different on each side) and reassemble. The cool part is that it's a completely reversable modification. If and when you find the rest of the external parts just disassemble the hub and reverse the modification. All the parts go back into the hub, nothing is removed and left out.

John
That's great, I'm going to get it cleaned up and I'll put it back in with the gear reversed. Really appreciate the tip! I see lots of recommendations for grease, or grease and oil on different parts. What would you suggest in this case?

Back