When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too rare to piece out?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is an original model I'm not sure of the name that has had some rehab work or if it is a project that someone replated. The fenders don't strike me as replated since the rivets are rusted...but maybe it was done that far back, it had time to rust. It would take a lot more staring at the chrome details to say if this bike has original chrome. The later seat and chain guard have definitely been replaced. The bike is missing it's head shroud and tank. I don't think that dual spring fork was used when the coup devilles were introduced, they had paint trim as well. The fork was used before 53. Let us see a picture of the underside of the crank hanger, there should be an aluminum placard there. That will determine year.

Not sure if this is an original model I'm not sure of the name that has had some rehab work or if it is a project that someone replated. The fenders don't strike me as replated since the rivets are rusted...but maybe it was done that far back, it had time to rust. It would take a lot more staring at the chrome details to say if this bike has original chrome. The later seat and chain guard have definitely been replaced. The bike is missing it's head shroud and tank. I don't think that dual spring fork was used when the coup devilles were introduced, they had paint trim as well. The fork was used before 53. Let us see a picture of the underside of the crank hanger, there should be an aluminum placard there. That will determine year.
IMG_1987.jpeg

According to number (and none are written in stone) it is a 50. BUT! This one is a bit strange!!

319183764_2120144644849128_965374440609199849_n.jpg

Most chrome Monark built Firestones were built in 53-54, featuring the "Knee Action" front end. Looking closely at your pics, the front fender brace is clearly for the dual springer front end, which basically ended on the SD's, SC's in 52. Fender looks total legit with proper rivet ware!! This makes me think that the fenders, front end, and rack were off a Late Late 52! As far as chrome frame in 50, that's another story!

Last edited:
Please don't part out this original bicycle. What you have is not a "trade show" or "display model" but rather is a bicycle anybody who walked into a Monark dealer's shop could have bought. Absolutely no guessing or speculation is necessary.

What you have there is a Model L501 girl's mate to the boy's Model M500.

Here is my M500 being cleaned up after I bought it from the original owner (he bought it new) years ago. Since this photo was taken long ago, the proper grips have been installed. Still missing one "MONARK" deluxe pedal (the kind with a metal band and reflector in the end). The rims have been cleaned and re-laced. Saddle is original and beautiful.

These bicycles are not a mystery at all. National Bicycle History Archive of America does indeed have the original factory literature on these models as well as hang tags, dealer ordering information and parts books. These bicycles were not in common consumer catalogues, but were clearly shown on a color page in the Monark and Silver King dealer's book– something few (if any) collectors today have ever seen. And you won't find this stuff or these bicycles in anybody's hobby/collector "book" or lists.

And... no matter what anybody says, these models never had tanks. Never.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America
(NBHAA.com)

SilverKingm500OnStand2WM copy.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back