When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Skipper continuous twin straightbar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

comet

Finally riding a big boys bike
I saw a n ad for this bike and drove 90 minutes to get there. The owner brought the bike out and it looked really small to me. He saw the disappointment on my face and I said it looks smaller than I expected and those wheels look like 24”. We looked and they are 26” S7 rims. He felt bad because of the drive so he gave me a little discount and I took the bike home. I took the pictures you’re going to see and then raised the seat. Once I raised the seat I realized it didn’t look so small so I measured axle to axle and the seat tube and they are the same as my 1955 Flying Star. I was thinking of using modern parts on the frame to make a klunker but it seems to small for that. I would like to trade it for track bike stuff. If nobody wants to trade then I’ll put it on DOND.

IMG_6724.jpeg

IMG_6725.jpeg

IMG_6726.jpeg

IMG_6727.jpeg

IMG_6728.jpeg

IMG_6732.jpeg

IMG_6731.jpeg

IMG_6730.jpeg

IMG_6733.jpeg

IMG_6735.jpeg

IMG_6745.jpeg

I saw a n ad for this bike and drove 90 minutes to get there. The owner brought the bike out and it looked really small to me. He saw the disappointment on my face and I said it looks smaller than I expected and those wheels look like 24”. We looked and they are 26” S7 rims. He felt bad because of the drive so he gave me a little discount and I took the bike home. I took the pictures you’re going to see and then raised the seat. Once I raised the seat I realized it didn’t look so small so I measured axle to axle and the seat tube and they are the same as my 1955 Flying Star. I was thinking of using modern parts on the frame to make a klunker but it seems to small for that. I would like to trade it for track bike stuff. If nobody wants to trade then I’ll put it on DOND.
Interesting how you mentioned about how it looked smaller than you expected in person, but then it turned out to be a full size bike. When I bought my 1956 Schwinn, in the For Sale photos, it looked like a full size bike. Then, when I got there in person to buy it, I was disappointed and astonished that it looked to be a youth size with 24 inch wheels, and only when I got it home and looked closer at the dry rotted tires did I see that it was in fact full sized. Certainly now that it is restored, it appears full sized. Maybe that is an odd anomaly with these middleweight Schwinns at times. That was also only the fourth or so old bike I had ever dealt with, so maybe it was partly from my inexperience too

There's been some recent discussion here on that exact frame design. Really cool and short lived. Might be worth just cleaning and riding as is. Here's one I put back together last year. Enjoy your bike!

IMG_1658.jpg

@GTs58 straightened this out recently in a different thread. ‘59 - ‘61 “twin” bars had separate twin bars between the seat tube and the head tube. They were the Tornado. In ‘62, the twin bars were an extension of the seat stays. They started out the year as Tornados but mid year they were renamed the Typhoon.

@GTs58 straightened this out recently in a different thread. ‘59 - ‘61 “twin” bars had separate twin bars between the seat tube and the head tube. They were the Tornado. In ‘62, the twin bars were an extension of the seat stays. They started out the year as Tornados but mid year they were renamed the Typhoon.

The 1961 Tornado had a frame change in mid 1961 to the continuous twin bars. Starting in 1962 the Tornado was renamed the Typhoon and it had the continuous twin bar frame.

Back