When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me decide what to do with this Rusty Shelby Supreme

-

TOCKubin

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello All, I just picked this up cheap straight from 20 years in a shed. As you can see it is rusty as heck but I think it is complete and unmolested. I believe the serial number is G2721…not sure if there is another mark to the right. Looks like it was blue and red. So what should I do….I know rust can be mitigated to some degree but some areas of this one look too far gone. Should I just do new tires and keep it a rat rod special or should I be stupid and try to take on all the hand rubbingrequired to try to get down as far as possible to the old original finish. I have restored a 1914 Peerless so I know what it takes but that one wasn’t nearly so rusty. What do all of you think. Happy to take more photos if you want. Generally I like TOC bikes but this one is pretty cool. I just got it an hour ago and can research but if you feel you know right away what year or anything else interesting please let me know. It still rolls and pedals and steers so with new tires i can ride it right away. Thanks!

15749EB4-FE54-4184-93BD-8BF985CE96CD.jpeg

0D88305B-26E9-44A6-9064-D22EE3B7FCB1.jpeg

EDCC8AB7-4F0C-4667-9B51-281A7DC5F173.jpeg

B6D84E91-E3F8-46B5-B552-737164F7E9DD.jpeg

ABC2D270-18C2-43FD-B060-3BF3477C17BE.jpeg

051765E4-594C-4F6A-BB9C-9DB9E9254586.jpeg

Cool bike with a cool serial number. G27214 could be wartime and very unusual. Not sure yet about these re-used serial numbered bikes, but it is most likely after 41. I will add it to the Shelby Prewar serial number thread. A light cleaning for a better image of the number would help with it. Another number appears to be above this #.

Last edited:
Reactions: ian
Hello All, I just picked this up cheap straight from 20 years in a shed. As you can see it is rusty as heck but I think it is complete and unmolested. I believe the serial number is G2721…not sure if there is another mark to the right. Looks like it was blue and red. So what should I do….I know rust can be mitigated to some degree but some areas of this one look too far gone. Should I just do new tires and keep it a rat rod special or should I be stupid and try to take on all the hand rubbingrequired to try to get down as far as possible to the old original finish. I have restored a 1914 Peerless so I know what it takes but that one wasn’t nearly so rusty. What do all of you think. Happy to take more photos if you want. Generally I like TOC bikes but this one is pretty cool. I just got it an hour ago and can research but if you feel you know right away what year or anything else interesting please let me know. It still rolls and pedals and steers so with new tires i can ride it right away. Thanks!

View attachment 1832702

View attachment 1832703

View attachment 1832704

View attachment 1832705

View attachment 1832706

View attachment 1832707
Nice project...break it down....soak the parts in your choice of beverages....I've been using citric acid with great results, and clean and wax!

Service the bike ... don't touch the finish .. how much worse can the finish get .. new tubes tires ... true the wheels if needed .. ride it & trip people out .. I have a similar one that in wheat & dark red color combo & I did just that to it & rode it in Yosemite with friends .. you'd be surprised how much attention this will bring if you ride it with the finish as it sits ...

You can always shine it up .. but you'll never be able to make the bike look like it sits right now ... keep us posted on what you do

Ridden not Hidden .. Frank

It's funny .. I bought that Shelby a few weeks before that Yosemite ride on a large auction site ... the seller said they went through it as they sometimes claim .. He even put on the Bontrager tires ,,, which don't really fit that vintage look .. but it still rocks them today .. but I took it out of the box .. double checked & confirmed the "going through" .. and decided that was the bike for the Yosemite trip ... rides like a champ & it made for some spectacular shots there ..
Ridden not Hidden ...

Last edited:
Back