When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting bored at Monroe so might as well work on some projects

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

4scuda

Wore out three sets of tires already!
In Memoriam
To say business has been less than brisk at my booth at Monroe would be a huge understatement. Never did this before, like everyone hoped for a swarm of buyers. But other than one low baller no real interest in my bikes. I was able to get a silver ray without a pedestal so I took apart the 39 and swapped in in to my base. Thinking about starting to take apart 41 dx next using the truss on the crusty old prewar schwinn . Starting to rain maybe buyers will be driven into my inside spot.

8C8784A1-7B78-4196-916B-9CA41FCD4AF4.jpeg

98CA7B89-AA0E-4FAB-B9BC-CAFC55DB2E5F.jpeg

C4C2574C-CA38-4FBE-967F-A39142418F77.jpeg

FE2B1CB1-39CA-4E22-80AE-C0497A66593F.jpeg

9C205872-687F-4903-9B7D-1A0495FC6CF6.jpeg

02437CF9-7E10-4D1E-A980-97BDE19907CA.jpeg

To say business has been less than brisk at my booth at Monroe would be a huge understatement. Never did this before, like everyone hoped for a swarm of buyers. But other than one low baller no real interest in my bikes. I was able to get a silver ray without a pedestal so I took apart the 39 and swapped in in to my base. Thinking about starting to take apart 41 dx next using the truss on the crusty old prewar schwinn . Starting to rain maybe buyers will be driven into my inside spot.

View attachment 1833596

View attachment 1833597

View attachment 1833598

View attachment 1833599

View attachment 1833600

View attachment 1833601
Well that dissapointing. You have some nice stuff there too!! I mean if you were being swarmed and no sales, then maybe pricing is an issue, but apparently that's not the issue. I thought that swap/sale was well attended? The pics Shawn posted ( and Barry if I recall?) of M/L looked like good items, hard to judge crowds and sales. I feel your pain. I have set up at antique sales years ago, or trade shows in my working days and if it's dead, or LOW BALL city, it's not fun. Smart to have brought tools. I hope things improve for you. Maybe next pics will be an empty table and corral?

View attachment 1833596

View attachment 1833597

View attachment 1833598

View attachment 1833599

View attachment 1833600

View attachment 1833601
The Snyder spring fork would have been sold! I'd be interested if you still have it...

With a full 2 or 3 day swap the out buildings are ok to display in. With this swap you needed to be by the main building. Only 6 hours to sell and many of us vendors ( who tend to buy more stuff than the average Person) can’t wander away from our spots too far. Unfortunately I never went into any the of the out buildings.

With a full 2 or 3 day swap the out buildings are ok to display in. With this swap you needed to be by the main building. Only 6 hours to sell and many of us vendors ( who tend to buy more stuff than the average Person) can’t wander away from our spots too far. Unfortunately I never went into any the of the out buildings.
Stop or correct me if I'm wrong, but that spells poor attendance to me/ based on the size # of vendors. I'm not trying to be "Darryl downer"here, just asking. Perhaps it's too large an area to capture the number of "outside" people who shop? As a show organizer ( all due respect) you want to maximize vendor spaces for rent, but BIG isn't always better. Jeez, as an avid collector and dealer ( I'll assume @detroitbike ) you were obviously in the main building and were busy enough to not be able to look elsewhere? Double edged sword there. Hey bring home treasures is fun, or buying right and spinning quick is lucrative.

I'm confused. 2-3 day swap and only 6 hours of selling? I'd be interested in hearing how crowds and vendor sales were at M/L, ( outsider) head count in pics looked lame. Pity. If selling among each other is enough to justify the trip/packing/setting up, that's all good. Is there new blood and interest from outsiders is part of the key. It can be viewed as a National meeting of members, ( exchange of goods among friends) but is it really a "sale"? I mean look at our ages on average. Are we going the way of vintage cars ( another hobby of mine)? Not a big deal, but I think we all kinda saw this coming/ hope I'm wrong. I love these bikes and the people and the hunt. If people are in the hobby as a speculation of huge financial rewards down the line, the market is shrinking. That's the elephant in the room.

Great I am not sure which one it’s

The Snyder spring fork would have been sold! I'd be interested if you still have it...
I think it was one of my few sales. I have these two left.
Stop or correct me if I'm wrong, but that spells poor attendance to me/ based on the size # of vendors. I'm not trying to be "Darryl downer"here, just asking. Perhaps it's too large an area to capture the number of "outside" people who shop? As a show organizer ( all due respect) you want to maximize vendor spaces for rent, but BIG isn't always better. Jeez, as an avid collector and dealer ( I'll assume @detroitbike ) you were obviously in the main building and were busy enough to not be able to look elsewhere? Double edged sword there. Hey bring home treasures is fun, or buying right and spinning quick is lucrative.

I'm confused. 2-3 day swap and only 6 hours of selling? I'd be interested in hearing how crowds and vendor sales were at M/L, ( outsider) head count in pics looked lame. Pity. If selling among each other is enough to justify the trip/packing/setting up, that's all good. Is there new blood and interest from outsiders is part of the key. It can be viewed as a National meeting of members, ( exchange of goods among friends) but is it really a "sale"? I mean look at our ages on average. Are we going the way of vintage cars ( another hobby of mine)? Not a big deal, but I think we all kinda saw this coming/ hope I'm wrong. I love these bikes and the people and the hunt. If people are in the hobby as a speculation of huge financial rewards down the line, the market is shrinking. That's the elephant in the room.
I set up at 2:00 on Saturday. I would bet that I didn’t even get the traffic of half of the dealers. These are more of social event than commercially viable. Some good deals could be had but I had no room to bring back anything. I made a dubious trade of a bike for a frame so I could buy a rougher original paint b6 for $350. I couldn’t believe it lasted until Sunday afternoon.

040B8F9F-61A8-4943-9742-325E3AA35FC6.jpeg

Great I am not sure which one it’s

I think it was one of my few sales. I have these two left.

I set up at 2:00 on Saturday. I would bet that I didn’t even get the traffic of half of the dealers. These are more of social event than commercially viable. Some good deals could be had but I had no room to bring back anything. I made a dubious trade of a bike for a frame so I could buy a rougher original paint b6 for $350. I couldn’t believe it lasted until Sunday afternoon.

View attachment 1834458
Hey, if you go into it expecting just some hobnobbing and BS'ing and weak to no sales, no harm, no foul. I'm just trying to guage the hobby as a collector and of course want it to be strong and everyone happy. Noone says a "swap meet" has to be all sales or trades with new collectors. If it's just a good old ho-down of enthusiasts getting together and showing and trading/selling their wares, beauty!! eh? I just sensed a disappointment in your initial post, and I feel sorry for anyone who goes to all the work/possible travel and expense with no reward. I've been there, done that. If the reward is some laughs and a field trip and a token part/bike or two/ enough sales to cover a meal, that's sweet too. People are a big part of the fun and the hobby. It's not all about money. Just ask Clint.

The-Good-The-Bad-clint-eastwood-40993852-744-999.jpg

sFLgxvtK9vxbNq502peVJ847Owp.jpg

I said that it (Monroe) needs to be a full 2-3 day swap as big as it is.
It is a 1 day swap opening at 8 am to the general public and it was getting pretty barren
by 2 pm ; hence my reference to 6 hours.
As Gary W. commented during our conversation one day : ML is a social event WHICH I LOVE !
Monroe is where we hope to do some selling to active buyers .
ML has really been a 'business show"/ get together .

Back