When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Schwinn Typhoon Restomod

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I bought some old chromed rims for a decent price on eBay to replace the originals which were too far gone. They were nice and straight and not dented. I didn’t expect them to clean up and they didn’t - too badly pitted in a few spots. So, off to the powder coater they went to be made gloss black. I disassembled and cleaned the hubs. The bike was clearly left outside for many years and the lower half of the innards were rusted and the grease was solid like dried toffee. I soaked everything in mineral spirits for a couple weeks. I replaced the bearing retainers in the front hub and rebuilt the Bendix coaster brake with new bearings I popped into the original Schwinn retainers (after soaking them in Evaporust for a few days.) It was a much simpler rebuild than my 1942 New Departure coaster brake, but I don’t expect the Bendix’s brake shoes to give me the same excellent braking performance as the ND. New stainless steel DT spokes and brass nipples and I’m ready to build.

8C47B751-4638-4790-A5E6-51866896F94B.jpeg

Last edited:
Frame, fork and chain guard back from powder coater. Color is a very dark candy apple red called “Illusion Cherry.” Bottom of the front fender was rusted through, unfortunately. My plan is to lay up a layer of fiberglass and epoxy on the inside of the fender and sand flush anything that bleeds through to the other side, then skin it with Bondo if necessary. As to paint color, I won’t be able to match the frame with a rattle can so I’m going to have to paint them an accent color. Leaning towards flat black. Any opinions?

View attachment 1797543

View attachment 1797542
Backed it up with some epoxy and fiberglass cloth, parged it with Bondo, a little rattle can paint and close enough for rock and roll.

133A3518-364C-45E7-8DE9-5F21FBC11B70.jpeg

8D039BA7-16D2-4A81-B827-E1A956117EA8.jpeg

Last edited:
How exactly would you clearcoat them? I personally would not clearcoat them after they’re installed.

How exactly would you clearcoat them? I personally would not clearcoat them after they’re installed.
I’d mask closely and overcoat with a single pass of Rustoleum spray clear enamel. But, that’s against manufacturer’s recommendations and risky since I don’t know how or if it would react with the powder coating. I’m just going to leave them uncoated for now.

I’d mask closely and overcoat with a single pass of Rustoleum spray clear enamel. But, that’s against manufacturer’s recommendations and risky since I don’t know how or if it would react with the powder coating. I’m just going to leave them uncoated for now.
I’m calling this project done.

IMG_6254.jpeg

IMG_6442.jpeg

IMG_6443.jpeg
I couldn’t powder coat the fenders because part of the front fender was found to be rusted through after grit blasting, so I had to resort to epoxy/fiberglass and paint. I couldn’t decide on a nice accent color so I opted for a pattern. I chose the pattern on Eddie Van Halen’s black and white “Frankenstrat” because I thought it would look interesting/different and be easy to paint. I topped it off with a California license plate to make it a full-up EVH homage. Not sure it goes with “Illusion Cherry,” but I can always repaint or get some chrome fenders. This was really just a path to getting myself a “Beach Cruiser” that would be interesting to own, but it wasn’t cheap:
  • Purchase price: $60
  • Powder coating frame, fork and chain guard: $250
  • Used replacement S-7 rims: $50 w/shipping
  • Powder coating rims: $100
  • New spokes and nipples: $118
  • New misc. bearings: $35
  • New tubes and whitewall S-7 tires: $105
  • New pedals: $37
  • New saddle: $42 w/shipping
  • New seat post: $15
  • New Wald handlebars and no-name grips: $50
  • NOS handlebar stem expansion bolt: $25
  • Used Schwinn head badge: $34
  • New decal set: $40
  • Rustoleum spray paint: $20

Total is $981 and I might be able to get $200 for it on Craigslist. So, this is definitely a hobby! I got about 25 hours of fun working on it, about -$32 an hour for the fun if I got $200 for it.

Rides nice.

I’m calling this project done.

View attachment 1834384

View attachment 1834385

View attachment 1834386I couldn’t powder coat the fenders because part of the front fender was found to be rusted through after grit blasting, so I had to resort to epoxy/fiberglass and paint. I couldn’t decide on a nice accent color so I opted for a pattern. I chose the pattern on Eddie Van Halen’s black and white “Frankenstrat” because I thought it would look interesting/different and be easy to paint. I topped it off with a California license plate to make it a full-up EVH homage. Not sure it goes with “Illusion Cherry,” but I can always repaint or get some chrome fenders. This was really just a path to getting myself a “Beach Cruiser” that would be interesting to own, but it wasn’t cheap:
  • Purchase price: $60
  • Powder coating frame, fork and chain guard: $250
  • Used replacement S-7 rims: $50 w/shipping
  • Powder coating rims: $100
  • New spokes and nipples: $118
  • New misc. bearings: $35
  • New tubes and whitewall S-7 tires: $105
  • New pedals: $37
  • New saddle: $42 w/shipping
  • New seat post: $15
  • New Wald handlebars and no-name grips: $50
  • NOS handlebar stem expansion bolt: $25
  • Used Schwinn head badge: $34
  • New decal set: $40
  • Rustoleum spray paint: $20

Total is $981 and I might be able to get $200 for it on Craigslist. So, this is definitely a hobby! I got about 25 hours of fun working on it, about -$32 an hour for the fun if I got $200 for it.

Rides nice.
That's a fine looking Typhoon you got their. Great job and RideOn. Mark...

Back