When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enamel or Powder Coat?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
On the other hand... Powder Coating is usually cheaper and less work for you. But as stated before it is harder to second stage color or add decals.
However, a really good powder coater can two and even 3 stage powder and decals. But, most industrial powder coaters don't want to mess with it. These were both done about 6-7 years ago as an experiment and holding up great.
However I prefer paint.
2 stage powder, then decals applied, and clear over.

View attachment 1835689

View attachment 1835690

View attachment 1835691

View attachment 1835692
Those look great! Unfortunately the powder coaters near me say that it is impossible to do a second coat/color. Then their work wasn't that great, they couldn't follow instructions as far as leaving the tape where I put it to shield the bearing surfaces, they charged more than they initially quoted, and took 2 months.

I need to build my own oven and give it a whirl.

Does anybody have "hands-on" experience pinstriping over powder coat?
I had this done in 2013. It still looks the same today. One Shot Enamel, no clear.

DSC04021.JPG

DSC04022.JPG

DSC04023.JPG.

Baked enamel, as per original is no longer available. I'm leaning towards powder coat for my next frankenbike since home painting does not work well, and subbing it out is expensive. If youcan salvage the original it's usually worth it but it's your bike at the end of the day.

You can buy any single stage (opaque or metallic) paint you want "on line". I live in So. California with the most stringent AQMD standards, and I have no problem buying quality automotive single stage paints or two part epoxy primers. Any local automotive paint store has it, or TCP will custom mix you any color "on line" and ship it. The paint uses "activators" and "hardeners" and will air dry to the touch in a couple of hours, or dry to sand/tape overnight. It's modern paint, it does not require baking, and does not take forever to dry. I spray cars and trailers in my driveway at home and get professional results.

Powder coating is "plastic" melted over your part, it's thicker and will never look like a painted part. Make sure they tape off the areas where you will be installing pressed in cups. Remember, if it's left in the sun, powder coating will chalk (fade) long before any quality painted part. I have done trailer tongues with some powder coated and some color matched painted parts. The painted parts always out lasted the coated parts.

The only advantage I see is, powder coating is easier, because you just drop off the part, write the check, and pick it up in a week turnaround.

If your going to have hand pin striping done, just make sure you have a paint job that has had the hardeners and activators properly added as per the MDS (material data sheet). That way, the pin stripper can wipe off the wet One Step paint and not damage your base color.

John

Back