When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday's Show and Tell ...5/14/23

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
It found me.

Sometimes it pays to be known as 'that bike guy' in you area.

IMG_5598.JPG

IMG_5599.JPG

I Picked up this 1927-28 speed skating trophy at an antiques show last week....It was won by Emil Penner…AKA Emil “Shorty” Penner…He was from York Nebraska but seems to ended up living in Los Angeles…The trophy came with a very large amount of ephemera including news clippings and photos all in really nice condition…On one hand there isn’t much on Penner if you google his name…but on the other hand he appears to have been well known at least in Los Angeles in the 1920’-30’s based on the news clippings…If I recall reading he was recognized for winning more speed skating events than anyone on the west coast…It appears he remained an amateur never went pro…Also from the looks of the huge amount of photos that also came with the trophy he appears to have done some acting in Hollywood but I couldn’t find him on IMDB…

It’s a very unique trophy because of the ice skate handles…I’ve never seen an example before…though I did find one that sold in Hunt Auctions once…that one didn’t have the great black wooden base mine has…The dealer…who I’ve known about thirty plus years was asking way more than I wanted to pay so I left it…as who could know what else I might see at the show…However I never saw anything I liked as much…As I walked around the show once in a while I would look to see if it was still there…The dealer had leaned a large framed oval photo against it that covered up the view of the black base so you couldn’t see how great it was…I think that may have helped keep it from being noticed…Finally I made an offer which he turned down…again I left it…then towards the end of the show I upped my offer and he came down enough I caved and bought it…It’s about as nice as speed skate trophies come so I’m glad I got it…
The engraving reads:

THE
Alfred's
Ice King
TROPHY
PACIFIC COAST
WON BY
EMIL PENNER
1927-28

Alfred's was a brand of ice skates made in Chicago...It was one of the three biggest ice skate makers of Chicago....There was F.W. Planert & Sons...Nester Johnson….and Alfred Johnson… There had been a split in the family that’s why the two Johnson’s…Alfred called his skates “Alfred’s Ice King”…as seen on the front of his building…and the trophy….They billed themselves as “The Largest Tubular Ice Skate Plant in the World”

The coup de grâce is the photo that came with the trophy showing Emil Penner in his den with the trophy displayed on a shelf...In sports artifacs that's the kill-shot end-all to have a period photo with the item in it...

20230511_110014 (Copy).jpg

20230511_110019 (Copy).jpg

20230511_202021 (Copy).jpg

20230512_085934 (Copy).jpg

20230512_090007 (Copy).jpg

20230512_090014 (Copy).jpg

20230512_090208 (Copy).jpg

20230512_090517 (Copy).jpg

alfredsiceking 2.jpg

In Den t.jpg

Speed Skate Trophy.jpg

The property manager tossed a few bike racks around the shopping center this week and we ended up with one in front of the Gym, and the color works. If you ride your bike we let you bring it into the gym so it’s not really needed but it does look good out front with the awnings and banner sign. The banner is soon to be replaced with a permanent sign painted on the building and a climbing mural to match…
97F41D51-0DA7-497F-8018-0686603D3E86.jpeg

DAEF5923-BB30-45C7-A58C-83C1EC51F9D4.jpeg

I like these racks….the bike looks active….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back