When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identified Edited to reflect, Perry model B-500. Mystery(to me) Rear Hub!??

-
For more clear photos...
PXL_20230516_220632492~2.jpg

PXL_20230516_220803534.jpg

Kind of looks like a derivative of one of Alvin J. Musselman’s designs; (about 29mm ID).

It is interesting that Alvin and Alexander both had the same first and last initials, A. J. M. (Musselman), and A. P. M. (Morrow).

Last edited:
Kind of looks like a derivative of one of Alvin Musselman’s designs.
I may eventually try some musselman guts in it, but I don't have any cleaned up to try...plus I've got too much other stuff going on to dedicate time to that clean up. Got any references to those Alvin designs being different from the standard Musselman hub?

While I was looking up Alvin, I did find reference to a couple of Eclipse hubs that I'd not seen before. Still, close, but no cigar. They don't have that extra bead around the brake side race.
Screenshot_20230525-171445.png

ScreenShot20131015at100310AMpng-1 (1).jpg

The finish and font are still making me lean towards Bendix/Eclipse, possibly war time...? The details of this hub aren't matching anything yet.

Here are some dimensions to help rule out different diameter hubs. 1.35" OD at middle of barrel.

PXL_20240223_205716018.jpg

1.11" ID of brake bore.
PXL_20240223_205448198.jpg

0.91" ID of driver/clutch bore.
PXL_20240223_205555979.jpg

I've also found some Bendix Aviation patents from WWII era and into the 50s for Juvenile/Velocipede hubs with mechanisms that are different than the usual suspects, but nothing with dimensions or otherwise identifying characteristics that I have to go on from this shell. 🫤

It is a Marrow from the forties. I knew I had a few of these before. Some models had smaller hub shells.
View attachment 1839251
Looks like my Morrows. I have a beautiful one, like new nickel but it’s got a crack. I was using several for parts to make one and discovered my nicest looking hub was cracked. I had to use the next best looking hub. I put the rebuild on a klunker and once raced it in a thirty mile cross country race. It worked well but took more reverse pedal power than modern units to make it work. It has good modulation and locks up well, you just have to press a little harder. I noticed a little more leg fatigue at the end of the race from the extra effort.

IMG_4407.jpeg

Pictures kind of look like Perry B-500 (English)?
(page 167)
I rebuilt a Perry a year ago for a bar bike. It doesn’t work well as it is worn out and coasters to a stop. I honestly don’t remember what the hub looked like. I got the bike from a junk pile in an old almost ghost town. It was a home built beater bike someone cobbled together. Bent fork with crooked stuck quill, broken frame welded together crooked, cross threaded different pedals, home built front wheel spoked wrong, coaster brake front wheel, 26 x 1 3/8 wheels on a balloon frame, old red rubber hose and hemp twine for grips, broken kick stand with a bolt welded to it to prevent it from over rotating, fender stays made from flat steel, a rusted pad free seat and rusty vice grips as a seat post clamp. I respoked the front wheel correctly, but had to use new spokes and nipples as they were frozen. I use it and keep it as it shows what people did in remote areas to make an old bike work. It originally had heavy wire for coaster brake arm anchors but they were too hard to remove so I replaced them. The wire is still just hanging there as you don’t want to remove original equipment.

IMG_3872.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like my Morrows. I have a beautiful one, like new nickel but it’s got a crack. I was using several for parts to make one and discovered my nicest looking hub was cracked. I had to use the next best looking hub. I put the rebuild on a klunker and once raced it in a thirty mile cross country race. It worked well but took more reverse pedal power than modern units to make it work. It has good modulation and locks up well, you just have to press a little harder. I noticed a little more leg fatigue at the end of the race from the extra effort.

View attachment 1995971
giphy (2).gif

Look a little harder at the pictures I posted of this teeny hub next to a Morrow.

Back