When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which CABEr/s did you ride or hook up with today...

-

Eddie_Boy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
...outside of an organized vintage bike ride.

Sparky’s @tripple3 distance rides have been told many times here. One of these days I told Sparky. I did a lot of road riding, so I respect the distances that he has ridden, especially on just a single speed vintage balloon bike.

After’s my daughter’s Graduate commencement at USC last Friday night, I called Sparky and asked what he was doing the next morning. A few weeks ago, I informed Todd @srfndoc of our plans that we are planning to attend the Orange ride in May since we were going to be in the area. If we had time, Todd wanted to hook up with him and Robin. Todd sent me a Flyer that he was planning to show his ’67 bus at the Kowabunga VW Bus gathering on the Huntington Beach pier that same day. Another passion of mine, classic cars. I told Sparky, let’s ride from your place in Fountain Valley to Huntington Beach Pier. The plan was to be at the HB Pier by 8 am, when the show starts. So my wife drops me off at Sparky’s by 7 am, thinking we could be at the HB Pier by 8 am. But it never goes as plan, because I was too caught up in seeing Sparky’s bikes, hearing their stories, and seeing more vintage cool stuff. That was fun hanging with Sparky at his place, even for that short time. Late start, we take off for a quick 10 mile ride, through multiple neighborhoods, along the river trail, down the coast trail arriving at the pier before 9 am. The tide was coming inward with a slight breeze. Riding on old Carlisle tires and Sparky’s faster pace, I drafted behind hugging his rear tire. Sparky is so well known, didn’t surprise me that we stopped a few times talking with locals. Anyway, finally got on top of the pier and I see Todd’s bus. Todd not knowing, I send a text with my Colson DBR in front of his ’67 bus. While hanging out with Todd, another vintage bike guy comes up, Matt, with his ’39 Schwinn reverse color red DX, and now we have a mini vintage bike show at Todd’s space and getting a lot of attention too. Pretty cool. Not only did I get to see all these cool old VW buses, but it was nice to hang out with Todd. Thanks buddy. Special thanks to Sparky for hosting me that Saturday morning.

Ride with @tripple3.jpg

'36 Colson DBR & '40 Western Flyer Heavy Duty by CWC

Ride with @tripple3 1.jpg

Ride with @tripple3 2.jpg

Ride with @tripple3 3.jpg

Ride with @tripple3 4.jpg

Ride with @tripple3 6.jpg

Ride with @tripple3 7.jpg

Ride with @tripple3 8.jpg

Ride with @tripple3 10.jpg

Last two images courtesy of @tripple3

Last edited:
A few more images from the Kowabunga VW Bus show on Huntington Beach Pier with Todd @srfndoc and Sparky @tripple3.

Kowabunga VW Buses @ Newport Beach pier 01.jpg

Kowabunga VW Buses @ Newport Beach pier 1.jpg

Love Todd's 67 bus. Pretty cool that she came from my hometown too, Sacramento, CA
Kowabunga VW Buses @ Newport Beach pier 3.jpg

Actual bus from the movie "Fast Times a Ridgemont High"

Kowabunga VW Buses @ Newport Beach pier 4.jpg

Met this gentleman, Ricky, on the pier and noticed his cool klunker build. Super light with prewar Schwinn C Model front with BMX style rear stays. Killer build.

Kowabunga VW Buses @ Newport Beach pier 5.jpg

A mini vintage bike show at Todd's space

Kowabunga VW Buses @ Newport Beach pier 7.jpg

Kowabunga VW Buses @ Newport Beach pier 8.jpg

Matt's reverse color '39 Schwinn DX

Kowabunga VW Buses @ Newport Beach pier 9.jpg

Kowabunga VW Buses @ Newport Beach pier.jpg

One of the many highlights of our 4 days in SoCal. Eddie & Mercedes

Last edited:
A few more images from the Kowabunga VW Bus show on Huntington Beach Pier with Todd @srfndoc and Sparky @tripple3.

View attachment 1840082

View attachment 1840083
Love Todd's 67 bus. Pretty cool that she came from my hometown too, Sacramento, CA
View attachment 1840085
Actual bus from the movie "Fast Times a Ridgemont High"

View attachment 1840086
Met this gentleman, Ricky, on the pier and noticed his cool klunker build. Super light with prewar Schwinn C Model front with BMX style rear stays. Killer build.

View attachment 1840087
A mini vintage bike show at Todd's space

View attachment 1840088

View attachment 1840089
Matt's reverse color '39 Schwinn DX

View attachment 1840090

View attachment 1840091

One of the many highlights of our 4 days in SoCal. Eddie & Mercedes
If you see him again, tell Ricky I dig that ride! Very Slick!

I told Sparky, let’s ride from your place in Fountain Valley to Huntington Beach Pier. The plan was to be at the HB Pier by 8 am, when the show starts. So my wife drops me off at Sparky’s by 7 am, thinking we could be at the HB Pier by 8 am. But it never goes as plan, because I was too caught up in seeing Sparky’s bikes, hearing their stories, and seeing more vintage cool stuff. That was fun hanging with Sparky at his place, even for that short time.
Great to get to ride with you Eddie!
Anytime...
Great pics! Sparky @tripple3 always hosts a good ride! I miss this! Old VWs and vintage bikes! Good stuff!
Miss you too Don; come on out, let's Ride!

Wow Pics Eddie!
The Light Bus Returns...
IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

Dr. Bob Hieronimus, Did the Artwork on Both busses.
The original "Light" bus was at Woodstock, 1969
This is the "New" 1969 VW Bus that Skinner Classics, built for the 50th Anniversary "Light Bus" Returns.
Funny little things happening at the beach.
Bob, is from Baltimore MD., The Sun carrier bag, "Light For All", same....
Did you set that UP???

Great to get to ride with you Eddie!
Anytime...

Miss you too Don; come on out, let's Ride!

Wow Pics Eddie!
The Light Bus Returns...
View attachment 1840263

View attachment 1840264

Dr. Bob Hieronimus, Did the Artwork on Both busses.
The original "Light" bus was at Woodstock, 1969
This is the "New" 1969 VW Bus that Skinner Classics, built for the 50th Anniversary "Light Bus" Returns.
Funny little things happening at the beach.
Bob, is from Baltimore MD., The Sun carrier bag, "Light For All", same....
Did you set that UP???
When we stopped to rest and took some pics along the river trail, Sparky @tripple3 was just talking about the graphics on his Baltimore, MD newspaper bag. Then brought up the VW Light bus at Woodstock, and the artwork done by Bob Hieronimus inspired by the graphics on his newspaper bag. That's pretty damn cool. Thanks Sparky.

Ride with @tripple3 5a.jpg

Last edited:
Back